Re: O-Reilly's Learning the vi and Vim Editors

  • Jostein Berntsen
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 2, 2011
      On 01.09.11,17:15, Hozzy2u wrote:
      > 63 and a complete noobe to Vim, I've installed version 7.3 in Windows
      > Vista. I'm trying to find an extra income source and settled on
      > formatting plain text files into e-books using xhtml. I found what
      > appears to be a phenomenal program, Vim but it looks to be more than a
      > little intimidating. I'm familiar with the publisher of the book
      > referred to in the subject line but am concerned with the fact that it
      > appears much of the book deals with vi. Is the material on vi of any
      > value in learning Vim? Money is a little short lately and I don't wish
      > to waste any. Thanks to anyone kind enough to answer this.

      Doing the vimtutor is a good thing to learn vim, as mentioned previously. The
      last book I bought on Vim recently was "Hacking Vim". A nice one.

      http://www.packtpub.com/hacking-vim-72/book

      Jostein

    • Hozzy2u
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 2, 2011
        I just want to thank everyone for their quick response to my question.
        I have just downloaded the "Vim Recipes" PDF file and printed it out
        so I could highlight and add notes as I read it. I look forward to
        watching this group and hope to at some point get to where I can add
        to the responses. Thanks again you have all been a great help.

      • Tim Chase
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 2, 2011
          On 09/02/11 13:37, Hozzy2u wrote:
          > I just want to thank everyone for their quick response to my
          > question. I have just downloaded the "Vim Recipes" PDF file
          > and printed it out so I could highlight and add notes as I
          > read it.

          as much as I'd like to support authors of Vim books, I'm glad you
          didn't have to spend significant money.

          > I look forward to watching this group and hope to at some
          > point get to where I can add to the responses. Thanks again
          > you have all been a great help.

          As can tell, the list is a pretty friendly place and we want your
          experience with Vim to be a positive one. Vim's help is pretty
          exhaustive, so one of the other important things to learn is how
          to navigate it. But even then, there have been times where I've
          lacked the right search-terms for :helpgrep and had to ask the
          list where to find a certain feature. So if something puzzles
          you and you're feeling stumped, we're glad to help you out!

          -tim

        • Marcin Szamotulski
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 2, 2011
            On 13:53 Fri 02 Sep , Tim Chase wrote:
            > On 09/02/11 13:37, Hozzy2u wrote:
            > > I just want to thank everyone for their quick response to my
            > > question. I have just downloaded the "Vim Recipes" PDF file
            > > and printed it out so I could highlight and add notes as I
            > > read it.
            >
            > as much as I'd like to support authors of Vim books, I'm glad you
            > didn't have to spend significant money.
            >
            > > I look forward to watching this group and hope to at some
            > > point get to where I can add to the responses. Thanks again
            > > you have all been a great help.
            >
            > As can tell, the list is a pretty friendly place and we want your
            > experience with Vim to be a positive one. Vim's help is pretty
            > exhaustive, so one of the other important things to learn is how
            > to navigate it. But even then, there have been times where I've
            > lacked the right search-terms for :helpgrep and had to ask the
            > list where to find a certain feature. So if something puzzles
            > you and you're feeling stumped, we're glad to help you out!
            >
            > -tim

            There are also very nice video casts by Derek Wyatt: http://vimeo.com/6999927,
            which I found recently and watched them just for fun. They are a very good
            introduction to vim. It is also worth looking at Darek Wyatt blog:
            http://www.derekwyatt.org/vim/ (where all the videos are listed in more
            structured way, and also you can find there his vimrc file with nice
            comments).

            Best regards,
            Marcin