Re: O-Reilly's Learning the vi and Vim Editors

  • Eric Weir
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 2, 2011
      On Sep 1, 2011, at 8:15 PM, Hozzy2u wrote:

      > 63 and a complete noobe to Vim, I've installed version 7.3 in Windows
      > Vista. I'm trying to find an extra income source and settled on
      > formatting plain text files into e-books using xhtml. I found what
      > appears to be a phenomenal program, Vim but it looks to be more than a
      > little intimidating. I'm familiar with the publisher of the book
      > referred to in the subject line but am concerned with the fact that it
      > appears much of the book deals with vi. Is the material on vi of any
      > value in learning Vim? Money is a little short lately and I don't wish
      > to waste any. Thanks to anyone kind enough to answer this.

      I'm older than you, and a not-quite complete noobie, but definitely a noobie compared to most here. I can't speak about the O'Reilly book, except that I've thought of buying, but only thought of. I did buy the Oualinne book, which is touted here, or at least on vim.org, and found it distinctly unhelpful.

      That said, my advice would be to just start. Use this list. People are more than generous. And almost always, it seems, there is a ready solution. Not quite, but almost. By asking questions here I was able to get Vim set up so that it was comfortable to me. It probably helps that I'm an OS X user and I use the MacVim version of Vim.

      Vim is powerful. More powerful than I even understand. There re tons of neat plugins that extend its capabilities in interesting ways. I frequently hear people here who are way more competent than me saying they're "still learning." That's one of the cool things about Vim -- that it can be used at many different levels of expertise.

      Just start. You'll get comfortable with it quicker than you imagine. Especially if you're any kind of programmer, though that is not necessary.

      Eric Weir
      eeweir@...

      "Human coexistence and social life constitute the good common to us all
      from which and thanks to which all cultural and social goods derive." - Zygmunt Bauman

    • Jostein Berntsen
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 2, 2011
        On 01.09.11,17:15, Hozzy2u wrote:
        > 63 and a complete noobe to Vim, I've installed version 7.3 in Windows
        > Vista. I'm trying to find an extra income source and settled on
        > formatting plain text files into e-books using xhtml. I found what
        > appears to be a phenomenal program, Vim but it looks to be more than a
        > little intimidating. I'm familiar with the publisher of the book
        > referred to in the subject line but am concerned with the fact that it
        > appears much of the book deals with vi. Is the material on vi of any
        > value in learning Vim? Money is a little short lately and I don't wish
        > to waste any. Thanks to anyone kind enough to answer this.

        Doing the vimtutor is a good thing to learn vim, as mentioned previously. The
        last book I bought on Vim recently was "Hacking Vim". A nice one.

        http://www.packtpub.com/hacking-vim-72/book

        Jostein

      • Hozzy2u
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 2, 2011
          I just want to thank everyone for their quick response to my question.
          I have just downloaded the "Vim Recipes" PDF file and printed it out
          so I could highlight and add notes as I read it. I look forward to
          watching this group and hope to at some point get to where I can add
          to the responses. Thanks again you have all been a great help.

        • Tim Chase
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 2, 2011
            On 09/02/11 13:37, Hozzy2u wrote:
            > I just want to thank everyone for their quick response to my
            > question. I have just downloaded the "Vim Recipes" PDF file
            > and printed it out so I could highlight and add notes as I
            > read it.

            as much as I'd like to support authors of Vim books, I'm glad you
            didn't have to spend significant money.

            > I look forward to watching this group and hope to at some
            > point get to where I can add to the responses. Thanks again
            > you have all been a great help.

            As can tell, the list is a pretty friendly place and we want your
            experience with Vim to be a positive one. Vim's help is pretty
            exhaustive, so one of the other important things to learn is how
            to navigate it. But even then, there have been times where I've
            lacked the right search-terms for :helpgrep and had to ask the
            list where to find a certain feature. So if something puzzles
            you and you're feeling stumped, we're glad to help you out!

            -tim

          • Marcin Szamotulski
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 2, 2011
              On 13:53 Fri 02 Sep , Tim Chase wrote:
              > On 09/02/11 13:37, Hozzy2u wrote:
              > > I just want to thank everyone for their quick response to my
              > > question. I have just downloaded the "Vim Recipes" PDF file
              > > and printed it out so I could highlight and add notes as I
              > > read it.
              >
              > as much as I'd like to support authors of Vim books, I'm glad you
              > didn't have to spend significant money.
              >
              > > I look forward to watching this group and hope to at some
              > > point get to where I can add to the responses. Thanks again
              > > you have all been a great help.
              >
              > As can tell, the list is a pretty friendly place and we want your
              > experience with Vim to be a positive one. Vim's help is pretty
              > exhaustive, so one of the other important things to learn is how
              > to navigate it. But even then, there have been times where I've
              > lacked the right search-terms for :helpgrep and had to ask the
              > list where to find a certain feature. So if something puzzles
              > you and you're feeling stumped, we're glad to help you out!
              >
              > -tim

              There are also very nice video casts by Derek Wyatt: http://vimeo.com/6999927,
              which I found recently and watched them just for fun. They are a very good
              introduction to vim. It is also worth looking at Darek Wyatt blog:
              http://www.derekwyatt.org/vim/ (where all the videos are listed in more
              structured way, and also you can find there his vimrc file with nice
              comments).

              Best regards,
              Marcin