Re: How do I capitalize text bewteen HTML tags?

  • Tim Chase
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 2, 2011
      On 09/01/11 21:22, tplarkin7 wrote:
      > I would like to capitalize the words, "Narrator (v.o.)" between the paragraph
      > tags below:
      >

      > I need to keep the entire tag as shown. For example, other tags have a
      > margin of 1in, and I don't want to capitalize between them.
      >
      > Another issue is the hard return after "Narrator". Some of the lines in my
      > HTML file have no return such as the line below:

      You seem to be referencing example HTML code blocks that didn't
      appear in your message. Without any actual code, the best I can
      do is suggest you use

      gUit

      to upper-case (gU) the "inner (contents of the) tag".

      :help gU
      :help it

      If it's more complex than that, or you have batches of them to
      do, it may be feasible to hack together some sort of :g command
      to do them all in one pass, but would need example HTML for that.

      -tim

    • tplarkin7
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 2, 2011
        I've worked it out.

        I solved the hard return problem by using Notepad++ TextFx Tidy command. It
        aligns all tags to nowrap and noindent.

        I then used VIM to capitalize the text since ordinary regex does not have
        that ability.

        For those that can't see the code I posted, it is visible in VIM's forum.

        Thanks for your help!

      • Tim Chase
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 2, 2011
          On 09/02/11 11:29, tplarkin7 wrote:
          > I then used VIM to capitalize the text since ordinary regex does not have
          > that ability.
          >
          > For those that can't see the code I posted, it is visible in VIM's forum.

          Ah, you're posting through Nabble which doesn't seem to pass
          along the HTML to the official Vim list (vim@..., mirrored at
          vim_use@...).

          Pulling in the source from the URL in your Nabble email I get the
          following:

          > This post was updated on .
          > I would like to capitalize the words, "Narrator (v.o.)" between the paragraph tags below:
          >
          > <P STYLE="margin-left: 2in; margin-bottom: 0in">Narrator
          > (v.o.)</P>
          >

          > I need to keep the entire tag as shown. For example, other tags have a margin of 1in, and I don't want to capitalize between them.
          >
          > Another issue is the hard return after "Narrator". Some of the lines in my HTML file have no return such as the line below:
          >
          > <P STYLE="margin-left: 2in; margin-bottom: 0in">Aristobulus</P>
          >

          > Thanks for your help!
          >
          > EDIT:
          > I'm slowly figuring this out:
          >
          > I've successfully capitalized the following example:
          >
          > Before code:
          >
          > <P ALIGN=CENTER>Narrator (v.o.)</P>
          >

          > After code:
          >
          > <P ALIGN=CENTER>NARRATOR (V.O.)</P>
          >

          > Code used:
          >
          > :%s:\(<P ALIGN=CENTER>\)\(.*\)\(<\):\1\U\2\3:g
          >

          > I attempted the same for
          >
          > <P STYLE="margin-left: 2in; margin-bottom: 0in">Aristobulus</P>
          >

          > But, it gave me an error.

          You don't give the error or the command you gave, so it's hard to
          track down what went wrong. I'd try something like

          :%s/\c<P style="[^"]*2in[^"]*"[^>]*>\zs\_[^<]*\ze</\U&/g

          It has odd edge-cases where you might have nested tags, but it
          should handle most of the cases.

          -tim

        • George V. Reilly
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 2, 2011

            On Fri, Sep 2, 2011 at 1:31 PM, Tim Chase <vim@...> wrote:
[...]

            A totally different approach would be to use semantic markup with CSS and get rid of all the inline styles leaving you with much cleaner HTML, as God and the W3C intended.

            .narrator {text-transform: uppercase}

            --
            /George V. Reilly  george@...  Twitter: @georgevreilly
            http://www.georgevreilly.com/blog  http://blogs.cozi.com/tech

          • tplarkin7
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 2, 2011
              Thanks, Tim!

              On Fri, Sep 2, 2011 at 3:32 PM, Tim Chase-9 [via VIM] <[hidden email]> wrote:
              On 09/02/11 11:29, tplarkin7 wrote:
              > I then used VIM to capitalize the text since ordinary regex does not have
              > that ability.
              >
              > For those that can't see the code I posted, it is visible in VIM's forum.

              Ah, you're posting through Nabble which doesn't seem to pass
              along the HTML to the official Vim list ([hidden email], mirrored at
              [hidden email]).

              Pulling in the source from the URL in your Nabble email I get the
              following:

              > This post was updated on .
              > I would like to capitalize the words, "Narrator (v.o.)" between the paragraph tags below:
              >
              > <P STYLE="margin-left: 2in; margin-bottom: 0in">Narrator
              > (v.o.)</P>
              >

              > I need to keep the entire tag as shown. For example, other tags have a margin of 1in, and I don't want to capitalize between them.
              >
              > Another issue is the hard return after "Narrator". Some of the lines in my HTML file have no return such as the line below:
              >
              > <P STYLE="margin-left: 2in; margin-bottom: 0in">Aristobulus</P>
              >

              > Thanks for your help!
              >
              > EDIT:
              > I'm slowly figuring this out:
              >
              > I've successfully capitalized the following example:
              >
              > Before code:
              >
              > <P ALIGN=CENTER>Narrator (v.o.)</P>
              >

              > After code:
              >
              > <P ALIGN=CENTER>NARRATOR (V.O.)</P>
              >

              > Code used:
              >
              > :%s:\(<P ALIGN=CENTER>\)\(.*\)\(<\):\1\U\2\3:g
              >

              > I attempted the same for
              >
              > <P STYLE="margin-left: 2in; margin-bottom: 0in">Aristobulus</P>
              >

              > But, it gave me an error.
              You don't give the error or the command you gave, so it's hard to
              track down what went wrong.  I'd try something like

              It has odd edge-cases where you might have nested tags, but it
              should handle most of the cases.

              -tim

              http://vim.1045645.n5.nabble.com/How-do-I-capitalize-text-bewteen-HTML-tags-tp4760759p4763768.html
              To unsubscribe from How do I capitalize text bewteen HTML tags?, click here.