Re: Search and write

  • Christian Brabandt
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 1, 2011
      Hi Lars!

      On Do, 01 Sep 2011, Lars Iselid wrote:

      > Still gets the whole content to the my.txt file. How to not write the whole
      > buffer?

      Please show the exact command you used.

      regards,
      Christian

    • Lars Iselid
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 1, 2011
        Checked carefully again and I had missed a point. Sorry! But in my result each string of digits (10 to 17) from same line (or paragraph) is sorted in one string without spaces. How to get the output sorted in one column with each string of digits in each row? Or at least spaces between each string of digits?

        Lars

        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 1, 2011
          Hi Lars!

          On Do, 01 Sep 2011, Lars Iselid wrote:

          > Checked carefully again and I had missed a point. Sorry! But in my result
          > each string of digits (10 to 17) from same line (or paragraph) is sorted in
          > one string without spaces. How to get the output sorted in one column with
          > each string of digits in each row? Or at least spaces between each string of
          > digits?

          Can you please share an example, what your data looks like before and
          what it looks like afterwards and how it should differ. I find it hard
          to understand what you want.

          regards,
          Christian

        • Tim Chase
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 1, 2011
            On 09/01/11 01:10, Lars Iselid wrote:
            > I want to write the digits and actually my full regex in vim
            > is: /[-0-9]\{13,17\}
            >
            > I want numbers with 13 to 17 digits even if they have hyphens
            > between the digits.

            For this, I'd tend to do something like put each match on its own
            line and then delete all lines that don't contain that pattern.
            Something like

            :%s/[-0-9]\{13,17\}/\r&\r/g
            :v/[-0-9]\{13,17\}/d

            Note that this does modify your current buffer, so either (1)
            operate on a scratch buffer or (2) remember to undo it before
            saving if your original source data isn't easily reproducible.

            It gets a little trickier if you have multiple matches on the
            same line AND you want to keep them on the same line (the above
            puts each match in the same line onto its own line).

            -tim