Installing on OSX 10.4.7

  • David Fishburn
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 31, 2011
      I have the original AppleTVs which I have installed XBMC on to use a
      media center.

      During setup and tweaking I login to this box via SSH and have to tweak
      some files.
      Currently I have to use nano to do this and it is killing me.

      So, not GUI, pure console.
      I have never used OSX before, especially console only.

      Could someone give me some instruction on what package I need to
      download and how to install it from a console to get some version (does
      not have to be 7) of it running on these boxes.

      Thanks in advance.
      Dave

    • David Fishburn
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 31, 2011
        On 8/31/2011 8:44 AM, David Fishburn wrote:
        > I have the original AppleTVs which I have installed XBMC on to use a
        > media center.
        >
        > During setup and tweaking I login to this box via SSH and have to
        > tweak some files.
        > Currently I have to use nano to do this and it is killing me.
        >
        > So, not GUI, pure console.
        > I have never used OSX before, especially console only.
        >
        > Could someone give me some instruction on what package I need to
        > download and how to install it from a console to get some version
        > (does not have to be 7) of it running on these boxes.

        I have made some headway on this but have run into a roadblock.

        This site has Vim for OSX 10.4.7 (Tiger)

        Download Vim for OSX 10.4 (Tiger) from here:
        http://macvim.org/OSX/index.php
        vim7.0.224.tar.bz2

        Installation was fairly simple:
        tar xf vim7.0.224.tar
        cd vim70
        mv Vim.app /Applications/Vim.app

        This is where the problem starts.
        As I am trying to use this from the console (only), the site also
        provides a shell script to be used to launch Vim.

        Also download http://macvim.org/OSX/files/gvim ->
        This I copied to /usr/bin/gvim

        When I attempt to use it I get:

        -bash-2.05b$ ./gvim
        ./gvim: line 1: basename: command not found
        dyld: Library not loaded: /System/Library/Perl/lib/5.8/libperl.dylib
        Referenced from: /Applications/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim
        Reason: image not found
        Trace/BPT trap

        The script only references basename once:

        # Next, peek at the name used to invoke this script, and set options
        # accordingly.
        name="`basename "$0"`"

        I don't see anything wrong with that, nor do I really know what it is for.

        If anyone has some suggestions that would be great.

        Thanks,
        Dave

      • Taylor Hedberg
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 31, 2011
          David Fishburn, Wed 2011-08-31 @ 10:28:51-0400:
          > This is where the problem starts.
          > As I am trying to use this from the console (only), the site also
          > provides a shell script to be used to launch Vim.
          >
          > Also download http://macvim.org/OSX/files/gvim ->
          > This I copied to /usr/bin/gvim
          >
          > When I attempt to use it I get:
          >
          > -bash-2.05b$ ./gvim
          > ./gvim: line 1: basename: command not found
          > dyld: Library not loaded: /System/Library/Perl/lib/5.8/libperl.dylib
          > Referenced from: /Applications/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim
          > Reason: image not found
          > Trace/BPT trap
          >

          > The script only references basename once:
          >
          > # Next, peek at the name used to invoke this script, and set options
          > # accordingly.
          > name="`basename "$0"`"
          >

          > I don't see anything wrong with that, nor do I really know what it is for.

          I'm not sure why you need a shell script to launch Vim, but ignoring
          that...

          basename is just a simple tool that strips off the "path prefix" of a
          pathname. So if you type `basename /foo/bar/baz` at a shell prompt, it
          will print "baz".

          The `$0` is shell syntax which is expanded to the name used to invoke
          the script on the command line. So if you run the script as
          `./myscript`, then `$0` would be replaced with "./myscript" and
          `basename $0` would be "myscript".

          So if your AppleTV doesn't have basename available, you can replace that
          line with something like this, and it should do the same thing:

          name="myscript"

          where "myscript", of course, is the command you're using to invoke the
          script, minus the /path/to/script/ prefix, if any exists.

          Hope that helps.

        • David Fishburn
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 31, 2011
            On 8/31/2011 11:03 AM, Taylor Hedberg wrote:
[...]

            Thanks Taylor.

            Perhaps it just boils down to this (without using the shell script):

            -bash-2.05b$ /Applications/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim dave.txt
            dyld: Library not loaded: /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/Python
              Referenced from: /Applications/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim
              Reason: image not found
            Trace/BPT trap

            Looking at the version I downloaded:

            vim7.0.224.tar.bz2 (6448148 bytes, last modified 2007/03/30)
            vim 7.0.224 Universal Binary: stable
            Comments: +cscope +perl +python +ruby +tcl
            +atsui and guitab experimental patches

            So, it has the +perl, +python and so on.
            I was able to create some links to get around the Perl error (Perl is already installed in a different directory), but I wonder if Vim is failing to launch since it cannot file these libraries.

            I thought Vim was supposed to just not load it and continue, but perhaps it is different on OSX?  It becomes fatal if it cannot load the libraries.

            Anyway, there does not appear to be any command lines switches to disable the attempt to load these libraries.

            Dave

          • Taylor Hedberg
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 31, 2011
              David Fishburn, Wed 2011-08-31 @ 11:15:36-0400:
              > -bash-2.05b$ /Applications/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim dave.txt
              > dyld: Library not loaded:
              > /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/Python
              > Referenced from: /Applications/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim
              > Reason: image not found
              > Trace/BPT trap
              >

              > Looking at the version I downloaded:
              >

              > vim7.0.224.tar.bz2 <http://macvim.org/OSX/files/binaries/OSX10.4/vim7.0.224.tar.bz2>(6448148
              > bytes, last modified 2007/03/30)
              > vim 7.0.224 Universal Binary:*stable*
              > Comments: +cscope +perl +python +ruby +tcl
              > +atsui and guitab experimental patches
              >

              > So, it has the +perl, +python and so on.
              > I was able to create some links to get around the Perl error (Perl
              > is already installed in a different directory), but I wonder if Vim
              > is failing to launch since it cannot file these libraries.
              >
              > I thought Vim was supposed to just not load it and continue, but
              > perhaps it is different on OSX? It becomes fatal if it cannot load
              > the libraries.

              Yeah, it appears to be trying to load a Python library and failing to do
              so, I'm guessing because AppleTVs don't have Python. I don't use OS X so
              I don't know much about its behavior in this regard.

              My suggestion would be to obtain an OS X Vim binary compiled without the
              "+python" option. You could compile it yourself if you have an actual
              Mac with the same version of OS X as the AppleTV, or if the AppleTV
              itself has a C toolchain (make, gcc, ld, etc.--I doubt very much that
              these tools are installed, though). Barring that, I would say just hunt
              around on the web and see if you can find one already built that way. I
              wouldn't be too surprised if somebody else has tried to install Vim on
              an AppleTV before.

              Alternatively, you could try to find a copy of that Python library to
              drop on the AppleTV, and set the LD_PRELOAD variable in Vim's
              environment so it can find it.

              Of course, it might be worth it to just get used to using nano,
              depending on how much effort you want to put into this.

            • Shain Singh
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 31, 2011
                > Could someone give me some instruction on what package I need to download
                > and how to install it from a console to get some version (does not have to
                > be 7) of it running on these boxes.

                How about a different tack?

                $vim scp://remoteuser@...//path/to/document

                if you run this from your host you can just edit files over SCP
                without having to install anything on the AppleTV.

                http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Editing_remote_files_via_scp_in_vim

                --
                Shaineel Singh
                e: shain.singh@...

                --
                "Too many have dispensed with generosity to practice charity" - Albert Camus

              • David Sanson
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 1, 2011
                  Three thoughts:

                  1.  You might try asking on vim_mac to see if anyone there has advice.

                  2.  Install [XCode 2.5][]. That should include a CLI-only vim binary, as
                      well as things like basename, python, perl, etc. (You will need a
                      free apple developer account to download.) On OS X, you need to
                      install XCode in order to get a full set of standard \*nix tools.

                  3.  If you want a gui, I would recommend the legacy download of
                      [MacVim][] rather than the builds from macvim.org. But I suspect that
                      depends on XCode too.

                  On the difference between MacVim and macvim.org, from the MacVim
                  website:

                  > MacVim is in no way connected with http://macvim.org. That site
                  > is no longer being maintained and only provides outdated binaries of
                  > the old Carbon port of Vim.

                  David

                  [XCode 2.5]: https://connect.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/MemberSite.woa/wa/getSoftware?bundleID=19907
                  [MacVim]: http://code.google.com/p/macvim/#Legacy_Mac_OS_X_downloads