Re: Black Icons on Windows XP Remote Connection Desktop

  • Benjamin R. Haskell
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 30, 2011
      On Tue, 30 Aug 2011, Ben Fritz wrote:

      > On Aug 30, 6:22 am, Tim Chase wrote:
      >> On 08/30/11 01:09, niva wrote:
      >>
      >>> I am using Gvim 7.3 through a remote connection desktop. All
      >>> toolbar's icons are black.
      >>
      >>> I don't think it comes from Vim but from windows or graphical
      >>> drivers but have you got some idea ?
      >>
      >> While I haven't experienced this with Vim, I've had similar issues
      >> with applications written in Python that make use of Tkinter where,
      >> if I launch them (either locally or via RDP) and then (re)connect via
      >> RDP, various containers appear blanked out (whether black or
      >> default-background/button color).
      >>
      >> I don't have a good answer for WHY, but perhaps the additional
      >> information can help you track down where/when/why.
      >>

      > You can check the RDP settings, at my workplace by default it is set
      > up to use 16-bit color. I had to change to at least 24-bit for my
      > colorscheme and some other things to work properly.

      That was my first suspicion as well. But testing with 15-, 16-, 24-,
      and 32-bit color (the depths supported by Windows7 mstsc) with both
      Windows7 mstsc and Gentoo rdesktop, I still had icons in all cases.
      (using Gvim 7.3e [beta])

      Generally, I only access my Windows machines via RDP from Linux (usually
      rdesktop, occasionally freerdp), and I've not encountered the issue.
      But, I also tend to stick to `vim` and not `gvim`.

      Would be useful to get more info from the OP on versions (of Vim/Gvim
      and Windows).

      --
      Best,
      Ben H

    • ni va
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 30, 2011
        Would be useful to get more info from the OP on versions (of Vim/Gvim and Windows).

        GVim version 7.3.46 with modified toolbar height : 48px
        Windows XP and remote distant desktop to another Windows XP

        Your help is needed thanks