VimConf

  • Taylor Hedberg
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 30, 2011
      I am in no way affiliated with this event, but I came across this page
      and figured other people here might be interested in in. There is
      apparently an online "virtual conference" being organized for Vim
      aficionados.

      http://www.vimconf.org/

    • Joey Beninghove
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 30, 2011
        Hi folks,
        I'm the one who started all this craziness last night.  :)  It's been an idea I've had for a while now and figured I'd start to see if anybody would be interested in something like this.  I'd love to get your feedback.

        Also, it's still very early, but I'll definitely need some presenters lined up, so let me know if you're interested in giving an online teaching session for VimConf.

        Thanks!
        Joey

        --
        Joey Beninghove

        On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 10:54 AM, Taylor Hedberg <tmhedberg@...> wrote:
        I am in no way affiliated with this event, but I came across this page
        and figured other people here might be interested in in. There is
        apparently an online "virtual conference" being organized for Vim
        aficionados.

        http://www.vimconf.org/

      • Magnus Woldrich
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 30, 2011
          On 2011-08-30 11:08, Joey Beninghove wrote:
          >Hi folks,
          >I'm the one who started all this craziness last night. :) It's been an
          >idea I've had for a while now and figured I'd start to see if anybody would
          >be interested in something like this. I'd love to get your feedback.

          Interesting. However, when I try to sign up, I am presented with the following:

          Something rather bad just happened. We are not exactly sure what it
          was, but we are going to get on it right away and fix it. Sorry for
          the inconvenience.

        • Matteo Landi
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 31, 2011
            nice idea! Anyway, when I try to sign up, a popup comes out telling me the provided email address (matteo at matteolandi dot net) is not valid. Can you fix that?

            Cheers,
            Matteo

          • Dotan Cohen
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 31, 2011
              On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 18:08, Joey Beninghove <joey@...> wrote:
              > Hi folks,
              > I'm the one who started all this craziness last night.  :)  It's been an
              > idea I've had for a while now and figured I'd start to see if anybody would
              > be interested in something like this.  I'd love to get your feedback.
              > Also, it's still very early, but I'll definitely need some presenters lined
              > up, so let me know if you're interested in giving an online teaching session
              > for VimConf.
              > Thanks!
              > Joey

              Hi Joey. I am interested in the workflow sessions, but I would rather
              not give out my email address. An RSS feed would be more appreciated.
              Thanks.

              --
              Dotan Cohen

              http://gibberish.co.il
              http://what-is-what.com

            • Robert Melton
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 31, 2011
                On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 3:41 AM, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@...> wrote:
                > On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 18:08, Joey Beninghove <joey@...> wrote:
                >> Hi folks,
                >> Also, it's still very early, but I'll definitely need some presenters lined
                >> up, so let me know if you're interested in giving an online teaching session
                >> for VimConf.
                >>
                > Hi Joey. I am interested in the workflow sessions, but I would rather
                > not give out my email address. An RSS feed would be more appreciated.
                > Thanks.

                I am curious about this -- gave my spam email to the nom-nom email box. Would
                be nice to see some sorta of organizational site spring up around it,
                rather than
                just an email vortex. What would be the least painful way to actual
                structure and
                or organize something like this?

                Are there examples of good virtual conferences that you plan to follow?

                --
                --Robert Melton
                #vim on irc.freenode.net, 10+ years and counting

              • Tim Chase
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 1, 2011
                  On 08/30/11 10:08, Joey Beninghove wrote:
                  > Also, it's still very early, but I'll definitely need some
                  > presenters lined up, so let me know if you're interested in
                  > giving an online teaching session for VimConf.

                  While I acknowledge it's still early, it might be helpful to know
                  what sorts of expectations exist for participating (whether as a
                  presenter or as a participant), e.g.

                  - whether one can present/participate purely via audio, or
                  whether video is expected; and whether any video would be of the
                  presenter or of slides (or both)

                  - the supported participation platforms: Vim users are likely to
                  have a more diverse set of platforms (I'm a Debian & Ubuntu
                  GNU/Linux user for the most part)

                  - time-lengths for presentations (5-min "lightning talks" vs.
                  30-60min full-length)

                  - are there plans for parallel tracks, or just a sequential
                  number of presentations (which I'd prefer over parallel tracks)

                  If reasonably feasible, I'd be glad to present on any number of
                  topics in my bailiwick (there was a request on FB for top VimGolf
                  scorers to dissect select solutions; and I tend to reach for Ex
                  solutions rather than scripting).

                  -tim

                • Martin Jernberg
                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 5, 2011