Re: swap files reverting my work erroneously

  • Joan Miquel Torres Rigo
    Message 1 of 25 , Aug 3, 2011
      2011/8/2 David Ohlemacher <dohlemacher@...>:
      > So once you have a swap file from a crash its there forever.   That is until
      > you delete the swp manually.   And if you hit recover, your newer file
      > contents will be wiped out by an older swap file's contents?
      >
      > I assumed (word chosen carefully), that once you've recovered from a swap
      > file, the swap would be updated to mirror the current buffer.

      If this happen and the swapfile results to be obsolete, then you could
      easily loose the (updated) contets of the file (if you accidentally
      save it).

      Also, this obsolete swapfile may contains interesting changes not in
      the last version in disk and you could be interested in examine (and
      optionally merge) them.

      To handle this situations I use two mappings:

      ...which lets me to examine the differences between the two files and
      decide if I want to use the swapfile version (:w), the disk version
      (:e %) or manually merge them starting from one or other.

      (I didn't know about DiffOrig mentioned by Gary below --but sure I
      will try it--)

      When resolved the conflict, I have this other mapping to drop the
      swapfile(s) easily and avoid future doubts.

      command! Recovered

      ...this doesn't consider if there is more than one swapfiles and, off
      course, sure can be fully implemented without external commands. But
      it works for me ;-)

      Regards.

      --
      Linux Registered User #164872