Re: Manu missing: Ubuntu 11.04

  • Guido Milanese
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 3, 2011
      On 2 Ago, 12:47, John Little <john.b.lit...@...> wrote:
      > Yes, it's a Unity thing.  (I use KDE myself.)  See
      >
      > http://askubuntu.com/questions/6784/is-it-possible-to-make-indicator-...
      >
      > for some workarounds.  For example, if I type in a terminal
      >
      >     UBUNTU_MENUPROXY= gvim
      >
      > (note the exact placement of the space) gvim starts with the menu pop up menu to toggle it).
      Than you. This solved the problem. In fact, i had previously tried to
      see whether the menu was behaving as 'standard' programmes (Firefox
      and so on), but I could not see the menu in the usual Unity way. Since
      I usually start Gvim from the terminal, being a middle-aged user who
      still finds a terminal his normal environment, I adopted the system
      you suggest, and I did a minimal script, called it menuvim, put in
      the /home/mynameasuser/bin directory, so it wont'g go in an update,
      and made it executable:

      #! /bin/bash
      export UBUNTU_MENUPROXY=0
      gvim $1 $2 $3 $4

      variables enough for any use! No problem with vimlatex, by the way (in
      that case, menus are essential).

      > My brief experience with Unity today has not encouraged me to try it
      > further.  I find it very like the early days of KDE 4; lots of
      > controls are missing.
      Well, I do not dislike it, despite this problem with Gvim. I think it
      has not yet reached a completely mature development, but I had no
      crash in a week of use. Previously I used 'standard' Gnome. Anyway you
      can switch to classical Ubuntu or install kubuntu if you do not like
      Unity (that's what my daughter, 15 yrs, will probably do, she does not
      like Unity at all).

      Many thanks again!
      guido (Genoa, Italy)