Re: sh vs bash syntax coloring

  • Charles Campbell
    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 2, 2011
      Benjamin R. Haskell wrote:
      > On Mon, 1 Aug 2011, Simon Nicolussi wrote:
      >
      >> Benjamin R. Haskell wrote:
      >>> That solves the problem since the OP wants bash syntax. I don't.
      >>> Is there a reason the constructs mentioned aren't included in "plain
      >>> 'sh'" mode?
      >>
      >> Not all shells support command substitution via $(...), even though
      >> it is required by POSIX. The /bin/sh in Solaris comes to mind.
      >
      > [Just FYI:] The /bin/sh in Solaris 10 works fine. Wouldn't surprise
      > me if 5.8 or prior didn't...
      >

      >> If you know you're using a compatible shell, you can specify:
      >>
      >> let g:is_posix = 1
      >
      > Seems like this should be the default, but okay. I see it in the help
      > now. Presuming this doesn't affect zsh-detection, I'll just add it
      > and be done.

      You'll also find in the help for ft-sh-syntax the sentence:

      No need to quote RFCs or market penetration statistics in error
      reports, please -- just select the default version of the sh your system
      uses in your <.vimrc>.

      That's there because posix/ksh users like to quote RFCs about how the
      default should be is_posix, and bash users like to quote market
      penetration statistics to insist that the default should be is_bash. I
      have the Bourne shell as default, not because I particularly like it the
      best or anything (I'm a is_kornshell user, myself), but to encourage
      users to make an informed choice.

      However, please try v117 of sh.vim; it now has some logic using
      resolve() to attempt to guess which shell is wanted. It won't be
      perfect; for example, what shell should be used with .profile? On my
      system, /bin/sh is linked to bash, and so the guessing logic will come
      up with setting g:is_bash to one; however, my login shell is ksh, and so
      .profile should be interpreted with g:is_kornshell = 1. The guess will
      only be made if no g:is_posix, g:is_kornshell, g:is_bash, or g:is_sh exists.

      You may get v117 from my website:
      http://mysite.verizon.net/astronaut/vim/index.html#vimlinks_syntax .

      Regards,
      Chip Campbell