Re: sh vs bash syntax coloring

  • Simon Nicolussi
    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 1, 2011
      Benjamin R. Haskell wrote:
      > That solves the problem since the OP wants bash syntax. I don't.
      > Is there a reason the constructs mentioned aren't included in "plain
      > 'sh'" mode?

      Not all shells support command substitution via $(...), even though it
      is required by POSIX. The /bin/sh in Solaris comes to mind. If you know
      you're using a compatible shell, you can specify:

      let g:is_posix = 1

      --
      Simon Nicolussi, <Simon.Nicolussi@...>
      http://homepage.uibk.ac.at/~csag9583/
      Message 2 of 18 , Aug 1, 2011
        On Mon, 1 Aug 2011, Simon Nicolussi wrote:

        > Benjamin R. Haskell wrote:
        >> That solves the problem since the OP wants bash syntax. I don't. Is
        >> there a reason the constructs mentioned aren't included in "plain
        >> 'sh'" mode?
        >
        > Not all shells support command substitution via $(...), even though it
        > is required by POSIX. The /bin/sh in Solaris comes to mind.

        [Just FYI:] The /bin/sh in Solaris 10 works fine. Wouldn't surprise me
        if 5.8 or prior didn't...

        > If you know you're using a compatible shell, you can specify:
        >
        > let g:is_posix = 1

        Seems like this should be the default, but okay. I see it in the help
        now. Presuming this doesn't affect zsh-detection, I'll just add it and
        be done.

        --
        Thanks,
        Ben

      • Charles Campbell
        Message 3 of 18 , Aug 2, 2011
          Benjamin R. Haskell wrote:
          > On Mon, 1 Aug 2011, Simon Nicolussi wrote:
          >
          >> Benjamin R. Haskell wrote:
          >>> That solves the problem since the OP wants bash syntax. I don't.
          >>> Is there a reason the constructs mentioned aren't included in "plain
          >>> 'sh'" mode?
          >>
          >> Not all shells support command substitution via $(...), even though
          >> it is required by POSIX. The /bin/sh in Solaris comes to mind.
          >
          > [Just FYI:] The /bin/sh in Solaris 10 works fine. Wouldn't surprise
          > me if 5.8 or prior didn't...
          >

          >> If you know you're using a compatible shell, you can specify:
          >>
          >> let g:is_posix = 1
          >
          > Seems like this should be the default, but okay. I see it in the help
          > now. Presuming this doesn't affect zsh-detection, I'll just add it
          > and be done.

          You'll also find in the help for ft-sh-syntax the sentence:

          No need to quote RFCs or market penetration statistics in error
          reports, please -- just select the default version of the sh your system
          uses in your <.vimrc>.

          That's there because posix/ksh users like to quote RFCs about how the
          default should be is_posix, and bash users like to quote market
          penetration statistics to insist that the default should be is_bash. I
          have the Bourne shell as default, not because I particularly like it the
          best or anything (I'm a is_kornshell user, myself), but to encourage
          users to make an informed choice.

          However, please try v117 of sh.vim; it now has some logic using
          resolve() to attempt to guess which shell is wanted. It won't be
          perfect; for example, what shell should be used with .profile? On my
          system, /bin/sh is linked to bash, and so the guessing logic will come
          up with setting g:is_bash to one; however, my login shell is ksh, and so
          .profile should be interpreted with g:is_kornshell = 1. The guess will
          only be made if no g:is_posix, g:is_kornshell, g:is_bash, or g:is_sh exists.

          You may get v117 from my website:
          http://mysite.verizon.net/astronaut/vim/index.html#vimlinks_syntax .

          Regards,
          Chip Campbell