Re: Detecting Encrypted File

  • ZyX
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 1, 2011
      Reply to message «Re: Detecting Encrypted File»,
      sent 13:35:05 01 August 2011, Monday
      by Paul:

      > I agree, it should work... but neither of these do:
      >
      > au! BufReadPost * if !empty(&key) | set viminfo= | endif
      > au! BufRead * if !empty(&key) | set viminfo= | endif
      BufRead and BufReadPost are the same events.

      > On Mon, Aug 01, 2011 at 09:40:27AM +1000, Ben Schmidt wrote:
      > > BufReadPost should also work, and won't trigger every time you move the
      > > cursor into the encrypted file's window/buffer.
      >
      > I agree, it should work... but neither of these do:
      >
      > au! BufReadPost * if !empty(&key) | set viminfo= | endif
      > au! BufRead * if !empty(&key) | set viminfo= | endif
      >
      > Maybe there's something special about the file being encrypted that makes
      > these not work - a bug, maybe?
    • Ben Schmidt
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 3, 2011
        On 1/08/11 7:35 PM, Paul wrote:
        > On Mon, Aug 01, 2011 at 09:40:27AM +1000, Ben Schmidt wrote:
        >> BufReadPost should also work, and won't trigger every time you move the
        >> cursor into the encrypted file's window/buffer.
        >
        > I agree, it should work... but neither of these do:
        >
        > au! BufReadPost * if !empty(&key) | set viminfo= | endif
        > au! BufRead * if !empty(&key) | set viminfo= | endif
        >
        > Maybe there's something special about the file being encrypted that makes these
        > not work - a bug, maybe?

        Strange. The following works for me in my .vimrc.

        if v:version>=702
        fun! NoSwapEncrypt()
        if &key != ""
        setlocal noswapfile
        endif
        endfun
        au BufReadPost * call NoSwapEncrypt()
        endif

        Obviously, it has a different purpose, but nevertheless, it accurately
        detects whether a file is encrypted or not, using BufReadPost.

        Ben.