Re: Control iTunes from Vim with ViTunes (a vim plugin packaged as a Ruby gem)

  • Daniel Choi
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 1 4:12 PM
      Hi Troels,

      Please update to ViTunes 0.1.0 and try that. The procedure is

      gem install vitunes && vitunes-install

      I hope the update partly fixes the previous/next issue.

      If > and < don't work for you, then try these:

      >> will play the next track
      << will play the previous

      They don't work in quite the same way as > and < but in most cases the
      effect is the same.

      Dan

      On Fri, Jul 01, 2011 at 05:48 PM, Troels Agerholm <ingatellent@...> wrote:

      from: Troels Agerholm <ingatellent@...>
      date: Fri, Jul 01 11:48 PM +02:00 2011
      to: vim_use@...
      cc: dhchoi@...
      subject: Re: Control iTunes from Vim with ViTunes (a vim plugin packaged as a Ruby gem)

      On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 9:49 PM, Daniel Choi <dhchoi@...> wrote:
      > Today I'm releasing a Vim plugin that lets you control iTunes without
      > leaving Vim.
      > http://danielchoi.com/software/vitunes.html

      Thanks a lot for that.

      > If you use Vim and OS X, I would appreciate it if you took it for a
      > spin and let me know if it works OK.

      I just played with it for like 5 minutes (with only 4 tracks in
      iTunes) so these are probably just beginner's mistakes:

      1) I installed it on a brand new Mac, with no added directories to
      $path, which ment that it couldn't find vitunes-install. Perhaps you
      should add a note to the installation process.

      2) When pressing '?' vim responds /bin/bash: vitunes-help: command not
      found, probably also due to a clean $path.

      3) I couldn't get > and < to work (vim calls <SNR>9_nextTrack() but
      nothing happens).

      4) When pressing '.' the displayed message is very long. How about
      truncating it or showing it another place than in the commandline. (I
      get the 'press ENTER or type command to continue' all the time).

      5) Not a complaint but a question: The leader on my system is \ which
      I prefer. How can I easily change vitunes such that it responds to \a
      etc. instead of ,a? (I've been a user of vmail for some time, and have
      wondered the same thing there).

      Anyway, these are just my very first experiences. Thanks for putting
      these plugins together.

      --
      Best wishes
      Troels Agerholm

      -- Sent from Vmail http://danielchoi.com/software

    • Troels Agerholm
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 2 1:14 AM
        On Sat, Jul 2, 2011 at 1:12 AM, Daniel Choi <dhchoi@...> wrote:
        > If > and < don't work for you, then try these:
        >>> will play the next track
        > << will play the previous

        Now > and < work. >> also works.

        << gives the message pasted below (and does not work)

        Also I can confirm that changing the path fixes the '?' command.

        I will surely be looking forward for a way to change the leader. Now I
        invoke vitunes with \i and dissmiss it with ,i which is a bit counter
        intutive (to me at least).

        --
        Best wishes
        Troels Agerholm

        Message when invoking << (don't know where the line breaks come from)

        2011-07-02 10:06:41.099 vitunes-tool-objc[3857:903]
        -[ITunesApplication prevTrack]: unrecognized selector sent to instance
        0x1002599f0^@2011-07-02 10:06:41.103 vitunes-
        tool-objc[3857:903] *** Terminating app due to uncaught exception
        'NSInvalidArgumentException', reason: '-[ITunesApplication prevTrack]:
        unrecognized selector sent to i
        nstance 0x1002599f0'^@*** Call stack at first throw:^@(^@^I0
        CoreFoundation 0x00007fff888437b4
        __exceptionPreprocess + 180^@^I1 libobjc.A.dylib
        0x00007fff86ac2f03 objc_exception_throw + 45^@^I2
        CoreFoundation 0x00007fff8889d110
        +[NSObject(NSObject) doesNotRecognizeSel
        ector:] + 0^@^I3 CoreFoundation
        0x00007fff8881591f ___forwarding___ + 751^@^I4 CoreFoundation
        0x00007fff88811a68 _CF_forwa
        rding_prep_0 + 232^@^I5 vitunes-tool-objc
        0x0000000100001d50 itunes + 40^@^I6 vitunes-tool-objc
        0x0000000100002478 main + 1125^@
        ^I7 vitunes-tool-objc 0x0000000100000e38 start +
        52^@)^@terminate called after throwing an instance of 'NSException'^@

      • Daniel Choi
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 2 7:36 AM
          Hi Troels

          Thanks very much for the bug report. Please run

          gem install vitunes && vitunes-install

          to get version 0.1.3.

          This version should:

          - fix the << bug
          - allow you to use '\' as the mapleader
          - clean up the current track display line by preventing it from spilling
          over to a second line

          Please let me know how it goes.

          Dan

          On Sat, Jul 02, 2011 at 04:14 AM, Troels Agerholm <ingatellent@...> wrote:

          from: Troels Agerholm <ingatellent@...>
          date: Sat, Jul 02 10:14 AM +02:00 2011
          to: vim_use@...
          cc: dhchoi@...
          subject: Re: Control iTunes from Vim with ViTunes (a vim plugin packaged as a Ruby gem)

          On Sat, Jul 2, 2011 at 1:12 AM, Daniel Choi <dhchoi@...> wrote:
          > If > and < don't work for you, then try these:
          >>> will play the next track
          > << will play the previous

          Now > and < work. >> also works.

          << gives the message pasted below (and does not work)

          Also I can confirm that changing the path fixes the '?' command.

          I will surely be looking forward for a way to change the leader. Now I
          invoke vitunes with \i and dissmiss it with ,i which is a bit counter
          intutive (to me at least).

          --
          Best wishes
          Troels Agerholm

          Message when invoking << (don't know where the line breaks come from)

          2011-07-02 10:06:41.099 vitunes-tool-objc[3857:903]
          -[ITunesApplication prevTrack]: unrecognized selector sent to instance
          0x1002599f0^@2011-07-02 10:06:41.103 vitunes-
          tool-objc[3857:903] *** Terminating app due to uncaught exception
          'NSInvalidArgumentException', reason: '-[ITunesApplication prevTrack]:
          unrecognized selector sent to i
          nstance 0x1002599f0'^@*** Call stack at first throw:^@(^@^I0
          CoreFoundation 0x00007fff888437b4
          __exceptionPreprocess + 180^@^I1 libobjc.A.dylib
          0x00007fff86ac2f03 objc_exception_throw + 45^@^I2
          CoreFoundation 0x00007fff8889d110
          +[NSObject(NSObject) doesNotRecognizeSel
          ector:] + 0^@^I3 CoreFoundation
          0x00007fff8881591f ___forwarding___ + 751^@^I4 CoreFoundation
          0x00007fff88811a68 _CF_forwa
          rding_prep_0 + 232^@^I5 vitunes-tool-objc
          0x0000000100001d50 itunes + 40^@^I6 vitunes-tool-objc
          0x0000000100002478 main + 1125^@
          ^I7 vitunes-tool-objc 0x0000000100000e38 start +
          52^@)^@terminate called after throwing an instance of 'NSException'^@

          --
          Sent from vmail. http://danielchoi.com/software/vmail.html

        • Troels Agerholm
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 2 7:46 AM
            On Sat, Jul 2, 2011 at 4:36 PM, Daniel Choi <dhchoi@...> wrote:
            > Please let me know how it goes.

            Now it works great. Thanks a lot.

            Minor annoyance though: Now the leader \ works for all commands except
            the 'dissmiss vitunes' command (i.e. to dissmiss vitunes I have to
            press ',i', if I press '\i' another buffer with vitunes is displayed).

            I can surely live with that.

            --
            Best wishes
            Troels Agerholm

          • Daniel Choi
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 2 7:51 AM
              Thanks for reporting -- this is an oversight on my part. 0.1.8 should fix this problem.

              On Sat, Jul 02, 2011 at 10:46 AM, Troels Agerholm <ingatellent@...> wrote:

              from: Troels Agerholm <ingatellent@...>
              date: Sat, Jul 02 04:46 PM +02:00 2011