Re: Control iTunes from Vim with ViTunes (a vim plugin packaged as a Ruby gem)

  • Daniel Choi
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 1, 2011
      Hi Troels

      Thanks for testing.

      Thanks for pointing out the $PATH issue. I'll try to note that in the
      README. The message you got that vitunes-install and vitunes-help were
      missing vitunes-help is related to that.

      I'll truncate that current track info too, and see what's going on with
      > and <

      Sorry about favoring , over \ as the local map leader. I try to make
      this easier to configure.

      Thanks again,

      Dan

      On Fri, Jul 01, 2011 at 05:48 PM, Troels Agerholm <ingatellent@...> wrote:

      from: Troels Agerholm <ingatellent@...>
      date: Fri, Jul 01 11:48 PM +02:00 2011
      to: vim_use@...
      cc: dhchoi@...
      subject: Re: Control iTunes from Vim with ViTunes (a vim plugin packaged as a Ruby gem)

      On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 9:49 PM, Daniel Choi <dhchoi@...> wrote:
      > Today I'm releasing a Vim plugin that lets you control iTunes without
      > leaving Vim.
      > http://danielchoi.com/software/vitunes.html

      Thanks a lot for that.

      > If you use Vim and OS X, I would appreciate it if you took it for a
      > spin and let me know if it works OK.

      I just played with it for like 5 minutes (with only 4 tracks in
      iTunes) so these are probably just beginner's mistakes:

      1) I installed it on a brand new Mac, with no added directories to
      $path, which ment that it couldn't find vitunes-install. Perhaps you
      should add a note to the installation process.

      2) When pressing '?' vim responds /bin/bash: vitunes-help: command not
      found, probably also due to a clean $path.

      3) I couldn't get > and < to work (vim calls <SNR>9_nextTrack() but
      nothing happens).

      4) When pressing '.' the displayed message is very long. How about
      truncating it or showing it another place than in the commandline. (I
      get the 'press ENTER or type command to continue' all the time).

      5) Not a complaint but a question: The leader on my system is \ which
      I prefer. How can I easily change vitunes such that it responds to \a
      etc. instead of ,a? (I've been a user of vmail for some time, and have
      wondered the same thing there).

      Anyway, these are just my very first experiences. Thanks for putting
      these plugins together.

      --
      Best wishes
      Troels Agerholm

      --
      Sent from vmail. http://danielchoi.com/software/vmail.html

    • Daniel Choi
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 1, 2011
        Hi Troels,

        Please update to ViTunes 0.1.0 and try that. The procedure is

        gem install vitunes && vitunes-install

        I hope the update partly fixes the previous/next issue.

        If > and < don't work for you, then try these:

        >> will play the next track
        << will play the previous

        They don't work in quite the same way as > and < but in most cases the
        effect is the same.

        Dan

        On Fri, Jul 01, 2011 at 05:48 PM, Troels Agerholm <ingatellent@...> wrote:

        from: Troels Agerholm <ingatellent@...>
        date: Fri, Jul 01 11:48 PM +02:00 2011
        to: vim_use@...
        cc: dhchoi@...
        subject: Re: Control iTunes from Vim with ViTunes (a vim plugin packaged as a Ruby gem)

        On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 9:49 PM, Daniel Choi <dhchoi@...> wrote:
        > Today I'm releasing a Vim plugin that lets you control iTunes without
        > leaving Vim.
        > http://danielchoi.com/software/vitunes.html

        Thanks a lot for that.

        > If you use Vim and OS X, I would appreciate it if you took it for a
        > spin and let me know if it works OK.

        I just played with it for like 5 minutes (with only 4 tracks in
        iTunes) so these are probably just beginner's mistakes:

        1) I installed it on a brand new Mac, with no added directories to
        $path, which ment that it couldn't find vitunes-install. Perhaps you
        should add a note to the installation process.

        2) When pressing '?' vim responds /bin/bash: vitunes-help: command not
        found, probably also due to a clean $path.

        3) I couldn't get > and < to work (vim calls <SNR>9_nextTrack() but
        nothing happens).

        4) When pressing '.' the displayed message is very long. How about
        truncating it or showing it another place than in the commandline. (I
        get the 'press ENTER or type command to continue' all the time).

        5) Not a complaint but a question: The leader on my system is \ which
        I prefer. How can I easily change vitunes such that it responds to \a
        etc. instead of ,a? (I've been a user of vmail for some time, and have
        wondered the same thing there).

        Anyway, these are just my very first experiences. Thanks for putting
        these plugins together.

        --
        Best wishes
        Troels Agerholm

        -- Sent from Vmail http://danielchoi.com/software

      • Troels Agerholm
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 2, 2011
          On Sat, Jul 2, 2011 at 1:12 AM, Daniel Choi <dhchoi@...> wrote:
          > If > and < don't work for you, then try these:
          >>> will play the next track
          > << will play the previous

          Now > and < work. >> also works.

          << gives the message pasted below (and does not work)

          Also I can confirm that changing the path fixes the '?' command.

          I will surely be looking forward for a way to change the leader. Now I
          invoke vitunes with \i and dissmiss it with ,i which is a bit counter
          intutive (to me at least).

          --
          Best wishes
          Troels Agerholm

          Message when invoking << (don't know where the line breaks come from)

          2011-07-02 10:06:41.099 vitunes-tool-objc[3857:903]
          -[ITunesApplication prevTrack]: unrecognized selector sent to instance
          0x1002599f0^@2011-07-02 10:06:41.103 vitunes-
          tool-objc[3857:903] *** Terminating app due to uncaught exception
          'NSInvalidArgumentException', reason: '-[ITunesApplication prevTrack]:
          unrecognized selector sent to i
          nstance 0x1002599f0'^@*** Call stack at first throw:^@(^@^I0
          CoreFoundation 0x00007fff888437b4
          __exceptionPreprocess + 180^@^I1 libobjc.A.dylib
          0x00007fff86ac2f03 objc_exception_throw + 45^@^I2
          CoreFoundation 0x00007fff8889d110
          +[NSObject(NSObject) doesNotRecognizeSel
          ector:] + 0^@^I3 CoreFoundation
          0x00007fff8881591f ___forwarding___ + 751^@^I4 CoreFoundation
          0x00007fff88811a68 _CF_forwa
          rding_prep_0 + 232^@^I5 vitunes-tool-objc
          0x0000000100001d50 itunes + 40^@^I6 vitunes-tool-objc
          0x0000000100002478 main + 1125^@
          ^I7 vitunes-tool-objc 0x0000000100000e38 start +
          52^@)^@terminate called after throwing an instance of 'NSException'^@

        • Daniel Choi
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 2, 2011
            Hi Troels

            Thanks very much for the bug report. Please run

            gem install vitunes && vitunes-install

            to get version 0.1.3.

            This version should:

            - fix the << bug
            - allow you to use '\' as the mapleader
            - clean up the current track display line by preventing it from spilling
            over to a second line

            Please let me know how it goes.

            Dan

            On Sat, Jul 02, 2011 at 04:14 AM, Troels Agerholm <ingatellent@...> wrote:

            from: Troels Agerholm <ingatellent@...>
            date: Sat, Jul 02 10:14 AM +02:00 2011

            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 2, 2011
              On Sat, Jul 2, 2011 at 4:36 PM, Daniel Choi <dhchoi@...> wrote:
              > Please let me know how it goes.

              Now it works great. Thanks a lot.

              Minor annoyance though: Now the leader \ works for all commands except
              the 'dissmiss vitunes' command (i.e. to dissmiss vitunes I have to
              press ',i', if I press '\i' another buffer with vitunes is displayed).

              I can surely live with that.

              --
              Best wishes
              Troels Agerholm

            • Daniel Choi
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 2, 2011
                Thanks for reporting -- this is an oversight on my part. 0.1.8 should fix this problem.

                On Sat, Jul 02, 2011 at 10:46 AM, Troels Agerholm <ingatellent@...> wrote:

                from: Troels Agerholm <ingatellent@...>
                date: Sat, Jul 02 04:46 PM +02:00 2011