Control iTunes from Vim with ViTunes (a vim plugin packaged as a Ruby gem)

  • Daniel Choi
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 1, 2011
      Today I'm releasing a Vim plugin that lets you control iTunes without
      leaving Vim.
      http://danielchoi.com/software/vitunes.html

      If you use Vim and OS X, I would appreciate it if you took it for a
      spin and let me know if it works OK.

      It's written in Vimscript, Objective-C, and Ruby and packaged as a
      Ruby gem.

      Thanks everyone.

      Daniel Choi
      Cambridge, MA
      http://kajasoftware.com
      http://danielchoi.com/software

    • Troels Agerholm
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 1, 2011
        On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 9:49 PM, Daniel Choi <dhchoi@...> wrote:
        > Today I'm releasing a Vim plugin that lets you control iTunes without
        > leaving Vim.
        > http://danielchoi.com/software/vitunes.html

        Thanks a lot for that.

        > If you use Vim and OS X, I would appreciate it if you took it for a
        > spin and let me know if it works OK.

        I just played with it for like 5 minutes (with only 4 tracks in
        iTunes) so these are probably just beginner's mistakes:

        1) I installed it on a brand new Mac, with no added directories to
        $path, which ment that it couldn't find vitunes-install. Perhaps you
        should add a note to the installation process.

        2) When pressing '?' vim responds /bin/bash: vitunes-help: command not
        found, probably also due to a clean $path.

        3) I couldn't get > and < to work (vim calls <SNR>9_nextTrack() but
        nothing happens).

        4) When pressing '.' the displayed message is very long. How about
        truncating it or showing it another place than in the commandline. (I
        get the 'press ENTER or type command to continue' all the time).

        5) Not a complaint but a question: The leader on my system is \ which
        I prefer. How can I easily change vitunes such that it responds to \a
        etc. instead of ,a? (I've been a user of vmail for some time, and have
        wondered the same thing there).

        Anyway, these are just my very first experiences. Thanks for putting
        these plugins together.

        --
        Best wishes
        Troels Agerholm

      • Daniel Choi
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 1, 2011
          Hi Troels

          Thanks for testing.

          Thanks for pointing out the $PATH issue. I'll try to note that in the
          README. The message you got that vitunes-install and vitunes-help were
          missing vitunes-help is related to that.

          I'll truncate that current track info too, and see what's going on with
          > and <

          Sorry about favoring , over \ as the local map leader. I try to make
          this easier to configure.

          Thanks again,

          Dan

          On Fri, Jul 01, 2011 at 05:48 PM, Troels Agerholm <ingatellent@...> wrote:

          from: Troels Agerholm <ingatellent@...>
          date: Fri, Jul 01 11:48 PM +02:00 2011
          to: vim_use@...
          cc: dhchoi@...
          subject: Re: Control iTunes from Vim with ViTunes (a vim plugin packaged as a Ruby gem)

          On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 9:49 PM, Daniel Choi <dhchoi@...> wrote:
          > Today I'm releasing a Vim plugin that lets you control iTunes without
          > leaving Vim.
          > http://danielchoi.com/software/vitunes.html

          Thanks a lot for that.

          > If you use Vim and OS X, I would appreciate it if you took it for a
          > spin and let me know if it works OK.

          I just played with it for like 5 minutes (with only 4 tracks in
          iTunes) so these are probably just beginner's mistakes:

          1) I installed it on a brand new Mac, with no added directories to
          $path, which ment that it couldn't find vitunes-install. Perhaps you
          should add a note to the installation process.

          2) When pressing '?' vim responds /bin/bash: vitunes-help: command not
          found, probably also due to a clean $path.

          3) I couldn't get > and < to work (vim calls <SNR>9_nextTrack() but
          nothing happens).

          4) When pressing '.' the displayed message is very long. How about
          truncating it or showing it another place than in the commandline. (I
          get the 'press ENTER or type command to continue' all the time).

          5) Not a complaint but a question: The leader on my system is \ which
          I prefer. How can I easily change vitunes such that it responds to \a
          etc. instead of ,a? (I've been a user of vmail for some time, and have
          wondered the same thing there).

          Anyway, these are just my very first experiences. Thanks for putting
          these plugins together.

          --
          Best wishes
          Troels Agerholm

          --
          Sent from vmail. http://danielchoi.com/software/vmail.html

        • Daniel Choi
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 1, 2011
            Hi Troels,

            Please update to ViTunes 0.1.0 and try that. The procedure is

            gem install vitunes && vitunes-install

            I hope the update partly fixes the previous/next issue.

            If > and < don't work for you, then try these:

            >> will play the next track
            << will play the previous

            They don't work in quite the same way as > and < but in most cases the
            effect is the same.

            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 2, 2011
              On Sat, Jul 2, 2011 at 1:12 AM, Daniel Choi <dhchoi@...> wrote:
              > If > and < don't work for you, then try these:
              >>> will play the next track
              > << will play the previous

              Now > and < work. >> also works.

              << gives the message pasted below (and does not work)

              Also I can confirm that changing the path fixes the '?' command.

              I will surely be looking forward for a way to change the leader. Now I
              invoke vitunes with \i and dissmiss it with ,i which is a bit counter
              intutive (to me at least).

              --
              Best wishes
              Troels Agerholm

              Message when invoking << (don't know where the line breaks come from)

              2011-07-02 10:06:41.099 vitunes-tool-objc[3857:903]
              -[ITunesApplication prevTrack]: unrecognized selector sent to instance
              0x1002599f0^@2011-07-02 10:06:41.103 vitunes-
              tool-objc[3857:903] *** Terminating app due to uncaught exception
              'NSInvalidArgumentException', reason: '-[ITunesApplication prevTrack]:
              unrecognized selector sent to i
              nstance 0x1002599f0'^@*** Call stack at first throw:^@(^@^I0
              CoreFoundation 0x00007fff888437b4
              __exceptionPreprocess + 180^@^I1 libobjc.A.dylib
              0x00007fff86ac2f03 objc_exception_throw + 45^@^I2
              CoreFoundation 0x00007fff8889d110
              +[NSObject(NSObject) doesNotRecognizeSel
              ector:] + 0^@^I3 CoreFoundation
              0x00007fff8881591f ___forwarding___ + 751^@^I4 CoreFoundation
              0x00007fff88811a68 _CF_forwa
              rding_prep_0 + 232^@^I5 vitunes-tool-objc
              0x0000000100001d50 itunes + 40^@^I6 vitunes-tool-objc
              0x0000000100002478 main + 1125^@
              ^I7 vitunes-tool-objc 0x0000000100000e38 start +
              52^@)^@terminate called after throwing an instance of 'NSException'^@

            • Daniel Choi
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 2, 2011
                Hi Troels

                Thanks very much for the bug report. Please run

                gem install vitunes && vitunes-install

                to get version 0.1.3.

                This version should:

                - fix the << bug
                - allow you to use '\' as the mapleader
                - clean up the current track display line by preventing it from spilling
                over to a second line

                Please let me know how it goes.

                Dan

                On Sat, Jul 02, 2011 at 04:14 AM, Troels Agerholm <ingatellent@...> wrote:

                from: Troels Agerholm <ingatellent@...>
                date: Sat, Jul 02 10:14 AM +02:00 2011

                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 2, 2011
                  On Sat, Jul 2, 2011 at 4:36 PM, Daniel Choi <dhchoi@...> wrote:
                  > Please let me know how it goes.

                  Now it works great. Thanks a lot.

                  Minor annoyance though: Now the leader \ works for all commands except
                  the 'dissmiss vitunes' command (i.e. to dissmiss vitunes I have to
                  press ',i', if I press '\i' another buffer with vitunes is displayed).

                  I can surely live with that.

                  --
                  Best wishes
                  Troels Agerholm

                • Daniel Choi
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 2, 2011
                    Thanks for reporting -- this is an oversight on my part. 0.1.8 should fix this problem.

                    On Sat, Jul 02, 2011 at 10:46 AM, Troels Agerholm <ingatellent@...> wrote:

                    from: Troels Agerholm <ingatellent@...>
                    date: Sat, Jul 02 04:46 PM +02:00 2011