Re: Vim running in subshell with limited features

  • Tim Chase
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 1, 2011
      On 06/01/2011 01:48 PM, feebleuser wrote:
      > When running VIM from a subshell (ksh Version AJM 93t+ 2010-02-02) I am
      > unable to use features like visual block or screen splitting.
      >
      > However, if I run VIM from the login shell these features work fine.
      >
      > What about running VIM in a subshell might cause these features to not work
      > properly?

      This sounds suspiciously like two versions/builds of vim are on
      your system, one being found by the login-shell and one being
      found by the sub-shell. In each shell, what is the output of

      ksh> which vim
      ksh> alias

      Perhaps your login shell sets an alias that isn't set in the
      sub-shell?

      Finally, it would be useful to capture the output of ":version"
      both in the case where it *does* work and the case where it
      *doesn't* work. The comparison would prove useful.

      -tim

    • Gary Johnson
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 1, 2011
        On 2011-06-01, feebleuser wrote:
        > When running VIM from a subshell (ksh Version AJM 93t+ 2010-02-02) I am
        > unable to use features like visual block or screen splitting.
        >
        > However, if I run VIM from the login shell these features work fine.
        >
        > What about running VIM in a subshell might cause these features to not work
        > properly?
        >
        > Apologies if this question has previously been answered. My search didn't
        > turn anything up...

        Did you check that the output of :version is the same from Vim
        running in the subshell as from Vim running in the login shell?
        I'm wondering if the Vim running in the subshell is the small or
        tiny version that Red Hat installs as /bin/vi.

        Regards,
        Gary