Plugin to continue text at top

  • Gísli Freyr Brynjarsson
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 1, 2011
      Hi guys

      When I was reading an article the other day I came across a complaint
      from some IT-guy that he missed that today's editors, when they had
      reached last line, couldn't "expand" and continue the file in an
      attached window. In the answers someone said that Vim could infact do
      this. I asked him how it's done but he won't answer me.

      So the plugin/script would work like this:
      Let's say you have a gvim window which, from top to bottom, has 50
      lines. When you finish writing in the 50th line and hit enter GVim
      would automatically make an attached "window" right next to where you
      were writing so the 51st line would go on the top inline with the 1st
      line. I'll try and demonstrate it with a picture with only 5 lines.

      || 1st line || 6th line || 11th line ||
      || 2nd line || 7th line || 12th line ||
      || 3rd line || 8th line || 13th line ||
      || 4th line || 9th line || 14th line ||
      || 5th line || 10th line || 15th line ||

      If this script exists and you know where it can be found than that
      info would be greatly appreciated.
      If on the other hand it doesn't exist than I would appreciate your
      input on how I could, for a lack of a better word, engineer it myself.

      Regards,
      Gisli Freyr

    • Charles Campbell
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 1, 2011
        Gísli Freyr Brynjarsson wrote:
        > Hi guys
        >
        > When I was reading an article the other day I came across a complaint
        > from some IT-guy that he missed that today's editors, when they had
        > reached last line, couldn't "expand" and continue the file in an
        > attached window. In the answers someone said that Vim could infact do
        > this. I asked him how it's done but he won't answer me.
        >
        > So the plugin/script would work like this:
        > Let's say you have a gvim window which, from top to bottom, has 50
        > lines. When you finish writing in the 50th line and hit enter GVim
        > would automatically make an attached "window" right next to where you
        > were writing so the 51st line would go on the top inline with the 1st
        > line. I'll try and demonstrate it with a picture with only 5 lines.
        >
        > || 1st line || 6th line || 11th line ||
        > || 2nd line || 7th line || 12th line ||
        > || 3rd line || 8th line || 13th line ||
        > || 4th line || 9th line || 14th line ||
        > || 5th line || 10th line || 15th line ||
        >
        > If this script exists and you know where it can be found than that
        > info would be greatly appreciated.
        > If on the other hand it doesn't exist than I would appreciate your
        > input on how I could, for a lack of a better word, engineer it myself.

        Hello,

        You can try mpage.vim out; its not exactly what you're asking for, but:

        * let g:mpage_autonxtwin= 1 -- put this into your .vimrc to enable
        automatic next-mpage-window advancing when in insert mode
        * when editing a file, use :MPage [splits] -- pick how many
        mpage-controlled window you want

        You may get mpage.vim from
        http://mysite.verizon.net/astronaut/vim/index.html#MPAGE

        Regards,