Some questions about using VIM on MAC

  • wei gao
    Message 1 of 7 , May 30, 2011
      Hi, All

      I'm using VIM 7.2 on MAC. And I have 2 questions:
      1. Could I change mouse icon in normal mode and insert mode. By default, the mouse icon is the sam in both normal and insert mode which could be a litte confuse. Could we make it different as on Window.
      2. Seems 'set autochdir' is not working on MAC's VIM 7.2. Any work around to make sure the working directory is changed we I switch between buffers. I think I need add a autocmd when BufferEnter happened.

      Thanks!
      Wei

    • Alessandro Antonello
      Message 2 of 7 , May 30, 2011
        Hi, Wei.

        > Hi, All
        >
        > I'm using VIM 7.2 on MAC. And I have 2 questions:
        > 1. Could I change mouse icon in normal mode and insert mode. By default, the
        > mouse icon is the sam in both normal and insert mode which could be a litte
        > confuse. Could we make it different as on Window.

        In terminal or not? Did you mean the cursor icon? Are you using MacVim? I'm
        using MacVim for a while and I have different cursors for normal and insert
        mode. But just on GUI version. In the terminal version the cursor is always
        the same.

        > 2. Seems 'set autochdir' is not working on MAC's VIM 7.2. Any work around to
        > make sure the working directory is changed we I switch between buffers. I
        > think I need add a autocmd when BufferEnter happened.

        You should give a try to MacVim 7.3. It should solve that issue too.

        Regards,
        Alessandro

      • wei gao
        Message 3 of 7 , May 30, 2011
          Thanks,

          I tried MacVim and it works great for me. However, I have a problem. I need to execute a script when start MacVim. On windows, I'm using event GUIEnter. But, it seems not working for MacVim. And if I start MacVim from terminal, I always get this message:
          2011-05-31 11:34:41.816 MacVim[52819:903] -[SUHost sharedFrameworksPath]: unrecognized selector sent to instance 0x103802920
          2011-05-31 11:34:41.818 MacVim[52819:903] -[SUHost sharedFrameworksPath]: unrecognized selector sent to instance 0x103802920

          Do you know this issue?

          Hi, Wei.

          Message 4 of 7 , May 30, 2011
            I find one issue. I should start from mvim script. The GUIEnter is triggered successfully. However the error is still on the UI. Seems it's as expected as described in the script.

            2011/5/31 wei gao <njugaowei@...>
            Thanks,

            I tried MacVim and it works great for me. However, I have a problem. I need to execute a script when start MacVim. On windows, I'm using event GUIEnter. But, it seems not working for MacVim. And if I start MacVim from terminal, I always get this message:
            2011-05-31 11:34:41.816 MacVim[52819:903] -[SUHost sharedFrameworksPath]: unrecognized selector sent to instance 0x103802920
            2011-05-31 11:34:41.818 MacVim[52819:903] -[SUHost sharedFrameworksPath]: unrecognized selector sent to instance 0x103802920

            Do you know this issue?

            2011/5/31 Alessandro Antonello <antonello.ale@...>
            Hi, Wei.

            > Hi, All
            >
            > I'm using VIM 7.2 on MAC. And I have 2 questions:
            > 1. Could I change mouse icon in normal mode and insert mode. By default, the
            > mouse icon is the sam in both normal and insert mode which could be a litte
            > confuse. Could we make it different as on Window.

            In terminal or not? Did you mean the cursor icon? Are you using MacVim? I'm
            using MacVim for a while and I have different cursors for normal and insert
            mode. But just on GUI version. In the terminal version the cursor is always
            the same.

            > 2. Seems 'set autochdir' is not working on MAC's VIM 7.2. Any work around to
            > make sure the working directory is changed we I switch between buffers. I
            > think I need add a autocmd when BufferEnter happened.

            You should give a try to MacVim 7.3. It should solve that issue too.

            Regards,
            Alessandro

          • bjorn.winckler
            Message 5 of 7 , May 31, 2011
              On May 31, 5:44 am, wei gao <njugao...@...> wrote:

              > I tried MacVim and it works great for me. However, I have a problem. I need
              > to execute a script when start MacVim. On windows, I'm using event GUIEnter.
              > But, it seems not working for MacVim. And if I start MacVim from terminal, I
              > always get this message:
              > 2011-05-31 11:34:41.816 MacVim[52819:903] -[SUHost sharedFrameworksPath]:
              > unrecognized selector sent to instance 0x103802920
              > 2011-05-31 11:34:41.818 MacVim[52819:903] -[SUHost sharedFrameworksPath]:
              > unrecognized selector sent to instance 0x103802920
              >
              > Do you know this issue?

              Try updating to the latest snapshot [1] and delete all other versions
              of MacVim from your computer.

              Björn

              [1] https://github.com/b4winckler/macvim/wiki/ChangeLog

            • wei gao
              Message 6 of 7 , May 31, 2011
                I tried the latest snapshot57 from MACPort first. However, it's not a complete version. It doesn't support cscope. I have to change back to the relase version. Is there any complete version of latest snapshot?

                BTW, change the curser in terminal VIM for insert mode is impossible? It works well on Windows.

                Message 7 of 7 , May 31, 2011
                  > > Try updating to the latest snapshot [1] and delete all other versions
                  > > of MacVim from your computer.
                  > > [1]https://github.com/b4winckler/macvim/wiki/ChangeLog
                  >
                  > I tried the latest snapshot57 from MACPort first. However, it's not a
                  > complete version. It doesn't support cscope. I have to change back to the
                  > relase version. Is there any complete version of latest snapshot?

                  Just follow the link I sent you and download the official snapshot
                  57. It has cscope support.

                  Björn