Re: Unable to enter functions keys in .vimrc or any other file

  • Michael Hauser
    Message 1 of 5 , May 2, 2011
      On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 22:59, Mahendra Ladhe <lml108@...> wrote:
      >    I am using vim 7.3 on Windows XP. I'm trying to map some function keys using 'map'
      > command in the .vimrc
      > When I enter the key sequence ctrl-v followed by some function key, say F1,
      > vim enters the 4-character sequence <F1> instead of the actual control key F1.
      > Btw, I'm able to use ctrl-v key for visual mode text selection.
      > How do I enter function or any other control keys in .vimrc

      Hitting the function keys in insert mode seems to default to print <F1>.
      Are you asking about the syntax?
      Perhaps I am misunderstanding you here, but mapping e.g. ':q!' to 'F4'
      works like this in .vimrc:

      map <F4> :q!<CR>

      Regards,
      mih

    • Jean-Rene David
      Message 2 of 5 , May 2, 2011
        * Mahendra Ladhe [2011.05.02 18:40]:
        > When I enter the key sequence ctrl-v followed by some function key, say F1,
        > vim enters the 4-character sequence <F1> instead of the actual control key F1.

        Indeed it does. And have you tried to see if your mapping worked with
        the 4-character sequence? Because that is the intended behavior and
        works fine here.

        --
        JR

      • Mahendra Ladhe
        Message 3 of 5 , May 3, 2011
          Thanks JR. The mapping is working. On my earlier Windows XP PC with
          vim 7.2,
          the control keys like F1 would be displayed in blue color, different
          than the rest of the text.
          That's why I found it odd when vim 7.3 was entering 4-character plain-
          text sequence for keys like F1.

          On May 2, 7:18 pm, Jean-Rene David <jrda...@...> wrote:
          > * Mahendra Ladhe [2011.05.02 18:40]:
          >
          > > When I enter the key sequence ctrl-v followed by some function key, say F1,
          > > vim enters the 4-character sequence <F1> instead of the actual control key F1.
          >
          > Indeed it does. And have you tried to see if your mapping worked with
          > the 4-character sequence? Because that is the intended behavior and
          > works fine here.
          >
          > --
          > JR

        • pansz
          Message 4 of 5 , May 3, 2011
            On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 1:59 AM, Mahendra Ladhe <lml108@...> wrote:
            > Thanks JR. The mapping is working. On my earlier Windows XP PC with
            > vim 7.2,
            > the control keys like F1 would be displayed in blue color, different
            > than the rest of the text.
            > That's why I found it odd when vim 7.3 was entering 4-character plain-
            > text sequence for keys like F1.

            Ctrl-A to Ctrl-Z are real control characters which will display in
            real control character, F1 is not a character and it will not shown as
            control character in vim.