Re: How do define a default highlight for none-linked group?

    Message 1 of 22 , May 1, 2011
      On 02/05/11 01:55, Ben Schmidt wrote:
      >>> Yeah, well at that line in my syntax.txt (dated the same as yours,
      >>> IIRC--I believe I checked against a date you provided), I find
      >>
      >> Are you sure? My syntax.txt is dated April 6 (as shown on line 1),
      >
      > Nope. I mustn't have checked after all (or perhaps only naïvely checked
      > the month and not the day). Mine is dated April 1.
      >
      > Ben.

      Somehow the post (in 8bit Latin1) to which I'm replying here (in UTF-8)
      had "naïvely" with a correct i-diaeresis (0xEF in Latin1), but the next
      one (in 8bit UTF-8) quoted it as "naďvely" (with 0xC4 0x8F = U+010F
      SMALL LATIN LETTER D WITH CARON) then printed it correctly below the
      quote (0xC3 0xAF = U+00EF). I don't know what happened when you tried to
      read your own message. Maybe you tried to view it in ISO-8859-2 since in
      that encoding, 0xEF means d-caron.

      Maier's Law:
      If the facts don't conform to the theory, they must be disposed
      of.

      Corollaries:
      (1) The bigger the theory, the better.
      (2) The experiment may be considered a success if no more than
      50% of the observed measurements must be discarded to
      obtain a correspondence with the theory.

    • Ben Schmidt
      Message 2 of 22 , May 1, 2011
        On 2/05/11 1:27 PM, Tony Mechelynck wrote:

        >>> Are you sure? My syntax.txt is dated April 6 (as shown on line 1),
        >>
        >> Nope. I mustn't have checked after all (or perhaps only naïvely checked
        >> the month and not the day). Mine is dated April 1.
        >>
        >> Ben.
        >
        > Somehow the post (in 8bit Latin1) to which I'm replying here (in UTF-8) had
        > "naïvely" with a correct i-diaeresis (0xEF in Latin1), but the next one (in 8bit
        > UTF-8) quoted it as "naďvely" (with 0xC4 0x8F = U+010F SMALL LATIN LETTER D WITH
        > CARON) then printed it correctly below the quote (0xC3 0xAF = U+00EF). I don't
        > know what happened when you tried to read your own message. Maybe you tried to
        > view it in ISO-8859-2 since in that encoding, 0xEF means d-caron.

        Google Groups messed it up. It left here as:

        naïvely

        but then arrived from the list as:

        na=C4=8Fvely

        I have no idea how they could have got the conversion so wrong, when it is so
        beautifully declared, but there you go. Computers! Pfff!

        Ben.

      • Christian Brabandt
        Message 3 of 22 , May 2, 2011
          On Mon, May 2, 2011 7:28 am, Ben Schmidt wrote:
          > I have no idea how they could have got the conversion so wrong, when
          > it is so beautifully declared, but there you go. Computers! Pfff!

          That has been mentioned before. See the thread starting at:
          http://groups.google.com/group/vim_use/msg/282220b092f894f5
          and
          http://groups.google.com/group/vim_use/msg/1d2384d110b4fc1b

          It seems, Google groups is broken. Not only does it usually not display
          umlauts (it leaves them out in German groups and makes it sometimes
          really hard to read), it also mangles them when processing the mails.

          I used to use footnotes in my mails. But google groups mangled them so
          badly, that I don't use it in this list anymore.

          regards,
          Christian

        • Ben Schmidt
          Message 4 of 22 , May 2, 2011
            On 2/05/11 6:41 PM, Christian Brabandt wrote:
            > On Mon, May 2, 2011 7:28 am, Ben Schmidt wrote:
            >> I have no idea how they could have got the conversion so wrong, when
            >> it is so beautifully declared, but there you go. Computers! Pfff!
            >
            > That has been mentioned before. See the thread starting at:
            > http://groups.google.com/group/vim_use/msg/282220b092f894f5
            > and
            > http://groups.google.com/group/vim_use/msg/1d2384d110b4fc1b
            >
            > It seems, Google groups is broken. Not only does it usually not display
            > umlauts (it leaves them out in German groups and makes it sometimes
            > really hard to read), it also mangles them when processing the mails.
            >
            > I used to use footnotes in my mails. But google groups mangled them so
            > badly, that I don't use it in this list anymore.

            I think it's OK if the mail is sent in UTF-8. If it's sent in some other
            encoding, Google Groups tries to convert it to UTF-8 and botches it up.
            But if it is in UTF-8 to start with, it's OK. I guess this means if you
            go into your mail client settings and set your default encoding to be
            UTF-8, you will probably rarely have problems (and most correspondents
            will be using software capable of reading UTF-8 these days, too, so you
            shouldn't lose much communicability).

            Ben.

            Message 5 of 22 , May 2, 2011
              On 02/05/11 10:51, Ben Schmidt wrote:
              > On 2/05/11 6:41 PM, Christian Brabandt wrote:
              >> On Mon, May 2, 2011 7:28 am, Ben Schmidt wrote:
              >>> I have no idea how they could have got the conversion so wrong, when
              >>> it is so beautifully declared, but there you go. Computers! Pfff!
              >>
              >> That has been mentioned before. See the thread starting at:
              >> http://groups.google.com/group/vim_use/msg/282220b092f894f5
              >> and
              >> http://groups.google.com/group/vim_use/msg/1d2384d110b4fc1b
              >>
              >> It seems, Google groups is broken. Not only does it usually not display
              >> umlauts (it leaves them out in German groups and makes it sometimes
              >> really hard to read), it also mangles them when processing the mails.
              >>
              >> I used to use footnotes in my mails. But google groups mangled them so
              >> badly, that I don't use it in this list anymore.
              >
              > I think it's OK if the mail is sent in UTF-8. If it's sent in some other
              > encoding, Google Groups tries to convert it to UTF-8 and botches it up.
              > But if it is in UTF-8 to start with, it's OK. I guess this means if you
              > go into your mail client settings and set your default encoding to be
              > UTF-8, you will probably rarely have problems (and most correspondents
              > will be using software capable of reading UTF-8 these days, too, so you
              > shouldn't lose much communicability).
              >
              > Ben.

              Hm. I read Google Groups (except vim_mac where I use "Abridged Email"
              and, if necessary, the Google Groups web interface) by setting them to
              "Email" then getting that mail from the gmail.com POP3 server by means
              of a "classical" email client (I use SeaMonkey; Thunderbird or probably
              Opera or Outlook Express would work just as well).

              That "first" "naïve" message of yours arrived here with

              and correct 8-bit Latin1 content; so it seems that in my case, Google
              left the message well enough alone even though it transited via both
              googlegroups.com and gmail.com

              Maybe one of the mail routers on the way to you does not declare itself
              8bit-capable and the one before that botches the conversion to
              quoted-printable? Yet ISO-8859-1 to UTF-8 and 8bit to quoted-printable
              ought to be both rather trivial. Oh well, one distracted programmer is
              enough to get any number of stupid computers to botch the simplest of
              jobs (I know, I used to be a programmer myself) so testcases are needed
              even for the silliest errors.

              82. AT&T names you Customer of the Month for the third consecutive time.

            • Ben Schmidt
              Message 6 of 22 , May 2, 2011
                > That "first" "naïve" message of yours arrived here with

                > and correct 8-bit Latin1 content; so it seems that in my case, Google
                > left the message well enough alone even though it transited via both
                > googlegroups.com and gmail.com

                I suspect that since you were CCed, you received a copy of the message
                directly at Gmail, and the mangled one that went through Groups was
                discarded (as Gmail recognises duplicate messages and at the very least
                collapses them, I believe). Or did you see both copies, and were they
                the same? Maybe check the Received headers to double-check the message
                went through groups, not directly to Gmail, if that distinction is easy
                to make (it should be, I think).

                The same might happen to this message. At this stage in composition,
                Thunderbird is showing latin1 as the encoding; if it indeed goes out
                like that, this message can serve as another test case.

                Ben.

                Message 7 of 22 , May 2, 2011
                  On 03/05/11 03:40, Ben Schmidt wrote:
                  >> That "first" "naïve" message of yours arrived here with

                  >> and correct 8-bit Latin1 content; so it seems that in my case, Google
                  >> left the message well enough alone even though it transited via both
                  >> googlegroups.com and gmail.com
                  >
                  > I suspect that since you were CCed, you received a copy of the message
                  > directly at Gmail, and the mangled one that went through Groups was
                  > discarded (as Gmail recognises duplicate messages and at the very least
                  > collapses them, I believe). Or did you see both copies, and were they
                  > the same? Maybe check the Received headers to double-check the message
                  > went through groups, not directly to Gmail, if that distinction is easy
                  > to make (it should be, I think).
                  >
                  > The same might happen to this message. At this stage in composition,
                  > Thunderbird is showing latin1 as the encoding; if it indeed goes out
                  > like that, this message can serve as another test case.
                  >
                  > Ben.

                  No, I got only one copy. Let me see what its Received-lines say...
                  (latest first, remember?)

                  Ah, so you're right: this seems to be the copy that went straight from
                  Yahoo to Gmail, and the one that transited through GoogleGroups never
                  made it into my Inbox, even though the "To: vim_use@..."
                  triggered my mail filters to get this message out of Inbox and into the
                  Vim List folder.

                  "Somewhere", said Father Vittorini, "did Blake not speak of the
                  Machineries of Joy? That is, did not God promote environments, then
                  intimidate these Natures by provoking the existence of flesh, toy men
                  and women, such as are we all? And thus happily sent forth, at our
                  best, with good grace and fine wit, on calm noons, in fair climes, are
                  we not God's Machineries of Joy?"

                  "If Blake said that", said Father Brian, "he never lived in Dublin."
                  -- R. Bradbury, "The Machineries of Joy"

                • Ben Schmidt
                  Message 8 of 22 , May 2, 2011
                    >> The same might happen to this message. At this stage in composition,
                    >> Thunderbird is showing latin1 as the encoding; if it indeed goes out
                    >> like that, this message can serve as another test case.

                    Of course, it goes without saying that Groups broke with tradition and
                    didn't mangle that one. Maybe only some Groups servers have the bug, or
                    it's something more complicated that triggers it. How annoying.

                    > Ah, so you're right: this seems to be the copy that went straight from
                    > Yahoo to Gmail, and the one that transited through GoogleGroups never
                    > made it into my Inbox, even though the "To: vim_use@..."
                    > triggered my mail filters to get this message out of Inbox and into
                    > the Vim List folder.

                    Well, that at least explains why you didn't see the problem the first
                    time around, even if we don't know when exactly Groups breaks....

                    Ben.

                  • Bram Moolenaar
                    Message 9 of 22 , May 10, 2011
                      Ben Schmidt wrote:

                      > >> The same might happen to this message. At this stage in composition,
                      > >> Thunderbird is showing latin1 as the encoding; if it indeed goes out
                      > >> like that, this message can serve as another test case.
                      >
                      > Of course, it goes without saying that Groups broke with tradition and
                      > didn't mangle that one. Maybe only some Groups servers have the bug, or
                      > it's something more complicated that triggers it. How annoying.
                      >
                      > > Ah, so you're right: this seems to be the copy that went straight from
                      > > Yahoo to Gmail, and the one that transited through GoogleGroups never
                      > > made it into my Inbox, even though the "To: vim_use@..."
                      > > triggered my mail filters to get this message out of Inbox and into
                      > > the Vim List folder.
                      >
                      > Well, that at least explains why you didn't see the problem the first
                      > time around, even if we don't know when exactly Groups breaks....

                      I asked someone, and he says that it looks like the problem is caused by
                      yahoo.com.au. Perhaps it depends on the way you route the message?

                      65. The last time you looked at the clock it was 11:30pm, and in what
                      seems like only a few seconds later, your sister runs past you to
                      catch her 7am school bus.

                    • Ben Schmidt
                      Message 10 of 22 , May 10, 2011

                        >> Of course, it goes without saying that Groups broke with tradition and
                        >> didn't mangle that one. Maybe only some Groups servers have the bug, or
                        >> it's something more complicated that triggers it. How annoying.
                        >>
                        >>> Ah, so you're right: this seems to be the copy that went straight from
                        >>> Yahoo to Gmail, and the one that transited through GoogleGroups never
                        >>> made it into my Inbox, even though the "To: vim_use@..."
                        >>> triggered my mail filters to get this message out of Inbox and into
                        >>> the Vim List folder.
                        >>
                        >> Well, that at least explains why you didn't see the problem the first
                        >> time around, even if we don't know when exactly Groups breaks....
                        >
                        > I asked someone, and he says that it looks like the problem is caused by
                        > yahoo.com.au. Perhaps it depends on the way you route the message?

                        I won't say it's not Yahoo, but that seems unlikely to me, because it
                        has happened with mail from other origins, and I can't think of anything
                        that would cause Yahoo to do an encoding conversion when communicating
                        with some remote servers and not others (or indeed at all). I give my
                        mail to Yahoo using SMTP, so no browser issues are in play, and Yahoo
                        doesn't even seem to do content filtering to append an ad (amazing!),
                        but even if it did, it would be hard to explain why character set
                        conversion would happen for some destinations and not others. AFAIK,
                        nothing a destination mail server could report would cause an origin
                        server to do a character set conversion. Transfer encoding, yes, but not
                        character set. It seems more likely that some of Groups' jiggerypokery
                        has a bug in it; after all, groups does a lot more than just deliver
                        mail--it prepares it for web archives and so on as well, and character
                        set issues definitely come into play there, so need to be dealt with.

                        Not sure how we can track this down further. It only happens sometimes,
                        so it may be that only some of Yahoo's or Groups' servers are affected.

                        Naïvely,

                        Ben.