Re: How do define a default highlight for none-linked group?

  • pansz
    Message 1 of 22 , May 1, 2011
      On Saturday, April 30, 2011 3:01:53 PM UTC+8, Ben Schmidt wrote:

      work, at least for CursorIM, though not for other standard highlight
      groups which are defined with defaults.

      The result, though, is yes, that your approach using "default" will

      Ben.

      Glad to see it will work and I will try it. If it really works, I think vim help document should be updated. Currently, "default" is only mentioned in "hi link".

      Message 2 of 22 , May 1, 2011
        On 01/05/11 10:01, pansz wrote:
        [...]
        > Currently, "default" is only mentioned in "hi link".

        If you had checked my first reply, you would have found at line 4087 of
        syntax.txt,

        :hi[ghlight] [default] {group-name} {key}={arg} ..

        81. At social functions you introduce your husband as "my domain server."

      • Ben Schmidt
        Message 3 of 22 , May 1, 2011
          On 1/05/11 9:24 PM, Tony Mechelynck wrote:
          > On 01/05/11 10:01, pansz wrote:
          > [...]
          >> Currently, "default" is only mentioned in "hi link".
          >
          > If you had checked my first reply, you would have found at line 4087 of syntax.txt,
          >
          > :hi[ghlight] [default] {group-name} {key}={arg} ..

          Yeah, well at that line in my syntax.txt (dated the same as yours,
          IIRC--I believe I checked against a date you provided), I find

          > the default value.

          Which is related, I guess, but not so helpful as the line you quoted
          above. :-)

          Smiles,

          Ben.

          Message 4 of 22 , May 1, 2011
            On 01/05/11 15:18, Ben Schmidt wrote:
            > On 1/05/11 9:24 PM, Tony Mechelynck wrote:
            >> On 01/05/11 10:01, pansz wrote:
            >> [...]
            >>> Currently, "default" is only mentioned in "hi link".
            >>
            >> If you had checked my first reply, you would have found at line 4087
            >> of syntax.txt,
            >>
            >> :hi[ghlight] [default] {group-name} {key}={arg} ..
            >
            > Yeah, well at that line in my syntax.txt (dated the same as yours,
            > IIRC--I believe I checked against a date you provided), I find

            Are you sure? My syntax.txt is dated April 6 (as shown on line 1),
            however the corresponding changeset (0877b8d6370e) was only committed on
            April 28, together with a number of other runtime files changes. The
            only patch later than that was 7.3.170 (changesets 64c3402df964 and
            08c36bef2004), and it affects only src/testdir/Make_vms.mms (plus
            src/version.c and .hgtags).

            >> the default value.

            That line is 11 lines lower here.

            > Which is related, I guess, but not so helpful as the line you quoted
            > above. :-)
            >
            > Smiles,
            >
            > Ben.

            Zero Defects, n.:
            The result of shutting down a production line.

          • Bee
            Message 5 of 22 , May 1, 2011
              Tony Mechelynck <antoine.mechely...@...> wrote:

              > I don't have a help tag but see line 4087 of syntax.txt (2011 Apr 06 for Vim 7.3).

              That is also not the same line here, how about using:

              :helpgrep :hi\[ghlight\] \[default\]

              -Bill

            • Ben Schmidt
              Message 6 of 22 , May 1, 2011
                >> Yeah, well at that line in my syntax.txt (dated the same as yours,
                >> IIRC--I believe I checked against a date you provided), I find
                >
                > Are you sure? My syntax.txt is dated April 6 (as shown on line 1),

                Nope. I mustn't have checked after all (or perhaps only naďvely checked
                the month and not the day). Mine is dated April 1.

                Ben.

              • Ben Schmidt
                Message 7 of 22 , May 1, 2011
                  On 2/05/11 9:55 AM, Ben Schmidt wrote:
                  >>> Yeah, well at that line in my syntax.txt (dated the same as yours,
                  >>> IIRC--I believe I checked against a date you provided), I find
                  >>
                  >> Are you sure? My syntax.txt is dated April 6 (as shown on line 1),
                  >
                  > Nope. I mustn't have checked after all (or perhaps only naďvely checked
                  > the month and not the day). Mine is dated April 1.

                  Take two: naïvely. Something gone wrong with encoding....

                  Ben.

                  Message 8 of 22 , May 1, 2011
                    On 02/05/11 01:55, Ben Schmidt wrote:
                    >>> Yeah, well at that line in my syntax.txt (dated the same as yours,
                    >>> IIRC--I believe I checked against a date you provided), I find
                    >>
                    >> Are you sure? My syntax.txt is dated April 6 (as shown on line 1),
                    >
                    > Nope. I mustn't have checked after all (or perhaps only naïvely checked
                    > the month and not the day). Mine is dated April 1.
                    >
                    > Ben.

                    Somehow the post (in 8bit Latin1) to which I'm replying here (in UTF-8)
                    had "naïvely" with a correct i-diaeresis (0xEF in Latin1), but the next
                    one (in 8bit UTF-8) quoted it as "naďvely" (with 0xC4 0x8F = U+010F
                    SMALL LATIN LETTER D WITH CARON) then printed it correctly below the
                    quote (0xC3 0xAF = U+00EF). I don't know what happened when you tried to
                    read your own message. Maybe you tried to view it in ISO-8859-2 since in
                    that encoding, 0xEF means d-caron.

                    Maier's Law:
                    If the facts don't conform to the theory, they must be disposed
                    of.

                    Corollaries:
                    (1) The bigger the theory, the better.
                    (2) The experiment may be considered a success if no more than
                    50% of the observed measurements must be discarded to
                    obtain a correspondence with the theory.

                  • Ben Schmidt
                    Message 9 of 22 , May 1, 2011
                      On 2/05/11 1:27 PM, Tony Mechelynck wrote:

                      >>> Are you sure? My syntax.txt is dated April 6 (as shown on line 1),
                      >>
                      >> Nope. I mustn't have checked after all (or perhaps only naïvely checked
                      >> the month and not the day). Mine is dated April 1.
                      >>
                      >> Ben.
                      >
                      > Somehow the post (in 8bit Latin1) to which I'm replying here (in UTF-8) had
                      > "naïvely" with a correct i-diaeresis (0xEF in Latin1), but the next one (in 8bit
                      > UTF-8) quoted it as "naďvely" (with 0xC4 0x8F = U+010F SMALL LATIN LETTER D WITH
                      > CARON) then printed it correctly below the quote (0xC3 0xAF = U+00EF). I don't
                      > know what happened when you tried to read your own message. Maybe you tried to
                      > view it in ISO-8859-2 since in that encoding, 0xEF means d-caron.

                      Google Groups messed it up. It left here as:

                      naïvely

                      but then arrived from the list as:

                      na=C4=8Fvely

                      I have no idea how they could have got the conversion so wrong, when it is so
                      beautifully declared, but there you go. Computers! Pfff!

                      Ben.

                    • Christian Brabandt
                      Message 10 of 22 , May 2, 2011
                        On Mon, May 2, 2011 7:28 am, Ben Schmidt wrote:
                        > I have no idea how they could have got the conversion so wrong, when
                        > it is so beautifully declared, but there you go. Computers! Pfff!

                        That has been mentioned before. See the thread starting at:
                        http://groups.google.com/group/vim_use/msg/282220b092f894f5
                        and
                        http://groups.google.com/group/vim_use/msg/1d2384d110b4fc1b

                        It seems, Google groups is broken. Not only does it usually not display
                        umlauts (it leaves them out in German groups and makes it sometimes
                        really hard to read), it also mangles them when processing the mails.

                        I used to use footnotes in my mails. But google groups mangled them so
                        badly, that I don't use it in this list anymore.

                        regards,
                        Christian

                      • Ben Schmidt
                        Message 11 of 22 , May 2, 2011
                          On 2/05/11 6:41 PM, Christian Brabandt wrote:
                          > On Mon, May 2, 2011 7:28 am, Ben Schmidt wrote:
                          >> I have no idea how they could have got the conversion so wrong, when
                          >> it is so beautifully declared, but there you go. Computers! Pfff!
                          >
                          > That has been mentioned before. See the thread starting at:
                          > http://groups.google.com/group/vim_use/msg/282220b092f894f5
                          > and
                          > http://groups.google.com/group/vim_use/msg/1d2384d110b4fc1b
                          >
                          > It seems, Google groups is broken. Not only does it usually not display
                          > umlauts (it leaves them out in German groups and makes it sometimes
                          > really hard to read), it also mangles them when processing the mails.
                          >
                          > I used to use footnotes in my mails. But google groups mangled them so
                          > badly, that I don't use it in this list anymore.

                          I think it's OK if the mail is sent in UTF-8. If it's sent in some other
                          encoding, Google Groups tries to convert it to UTF-8 and botches it up.
                          But if it is in UTF-8 to start with, it's OK. I guess this means if you
                          go into your mail client settings and set your default encoding to be
                          UTF-8, you will probably rarely have problems (and most correspondents
                          will be using software capable of reading UTF-8 these days, too, so you
                          shouldn't lose much communicability).

                          Ben.

                          Message 12 of 22 , May 2, 2011
                            On 02/05/11 10:51, Ben Schmidt wrote:
                            > On 2/05/11 6:41 PM, Christian Brabandt wrote:
                            >> On Mon, May 2, 2011 7:28 am, Ben Schmidt wrote:
                            >>> I have no idea how they could have got the conversion so wrong, when
                            >>> it is so beautifully declared, but there you go. Computers! Pfff!
                            >>
                            >> That has been mentioned before. See the thread starting at:
                            >> http://groups.google.com/group/vim_use/msg/282220b092f894f5
                            >> and
                            >> http://groups.google.com/group/vim_use/msg/1d2384d110b4fc1b
                            >>
                            >> It seems, Google groups is broken. Not only does it usually not display
                            >> umlauts (it leaves them out in German groups and makes it sometimes
                            >> really hard to read), it also mangles them when processing the mails.
                            >>
                            >> I used to use footnotes in my mails. But google groups mangled them so
                            >> badly, that I don't use it in this list anymore.
                            >
                            > I think it's OK if the mail is sent in UTF-8. If it's sent in some other
                            > encoding, Google Groups tries to convert it to UTF-8 and botches it up.
                            > But if it is in UTF-8 to start with, it's OK. I guess this means if you
                            > go into your mail client settings and set your default encoding to be
                            > UTF-8, you will probably rarely have problems (and most correspondents
                            > will be using software capable of reading UTF-8 these days, too, so you
                            > shouldn't lose much communicability).
                            >
                            > Ben.

                            Hm. I read Google Groups (except vim_mac where I use "Abridged Email"
                            and, if necessary, the Google Groups web interface) by setting them to
                            "Email" then getting that mail from the gmail.com POP3 server by means
                            of a "classical" email client (I use SeaMonkey; Thunderbird or probably
                            Opera or Outlook Express would work just as well).

                            That "first" "naïve" message of yours arrived here with

                            and correct 8-bit Latin1 content; so it seems that in my case, Google
                            left the message well enough alone even though it transited via both
                            googlegroups.com and gmail.com

                            Maybe one of the mail routers on the way to you does not declare itself
                            8bit-capable and the one before that botches the conversion to
                            quoted-printable? Yet ISO-8859-1 to UTF-8 and 8bit to quoted-printable
                            ought to be both rather trivial. Oh well, one distracted programmer is
                            enough to get any number of stupid computers to botch the simplest of
                            jobs (I know, I used to be a programmer myself) so testcases are needed
                            even for the silliest errors.

                            82. AT&T names you Customer of the Month for the third consecutive time.

                          • Ben Schmidt
                            Message 13 of 22 , May 2, 2011
                              > That "first" "naïve" message of yours arrived here with

                              > and correct 8-bit Latin1 content; so it seems that in my case, Google
                              > left the message well enough alone even though it transited via both
                              > googlegroups.com and gmail.com

                              I suspect that since you were CCed, you received a copy of the message
                              directly at Gmail, and the mangled one that went through Groups was
                              discarded (as Gmail recognises duplicate messages and at the very least
                              collapses them, I believe). Or did you see both copies, and were they
                              the same? Maybe check the Received headers to double-check the message
                              went through groups, not directly to Gmail, if that distinction is easy
                              to make (it should be, I think).

                              The same might happen to this message. At this stage in composition,
                              Thunderbird is showing latin1 as the encoding; if it indeed goes out
                              like that, this message can serve as another test case.

                              Ben.

                              Message 14 of 22 , May 2, 2011
                                On 03/05/11 03:40, Ben Schmidt wrote:
                                >> That "first" "naïve" message of yours arrived here with

                                >> and correct 8-bit Latin1 content; so it seems that in my case, Google
                                >> left the message well enough alone even though it transited via both
                                >> googlegroups.com and gmail.com
                                >
                                > I suspect that since you were CCed, you received a copy of the message
                                > directly at Gmail, and the mangled one that went through Groups was
                                > discarded (as Gmail recognises duplicate messages and at the very least
                                > collapses them, I believe). Or did you see both copies, and were they
                                > the same? Maybe check the Received headers to double-check the message
                                > went through groups, not directly to Gmail, if that distinction is easy
                                > to make (it should be, I think).
                                >
                                > The same might happen to this message. At this stage in composition,
                                > Thunderbird is showing latin1 as the encoding; if it indeed goes out
                                > like that, this message can serve as another test case.
                                >
                                > Ben.

                                No, I got only one copy. Let me see what its Received-lines say...
                                (latest first, remember?)

                                Ah, so you're right: this seems to be the copy that went straight from
                                Yahoo to Gmail, and the one that transited through GoogleGroups never
                                made it into my Inbox, even though the "To: vim_use@..."
                                triggered my mail filters to get this message out of Inbox and into the
                                Vim List folder.

                                "Somewhere", said Father Vittorini, "did Blake not speak of the
                                Machineries of Joy? That is, did not God promote environments, then
                                intimidate these Natures by provoking the existence of flesh, toy men
                                and women, such as are we all? And thus happily sent forth, at our
                                best, with good grace and fine wit, on calm noons, in fair climes, are
                                we not God's Machineries of Joy?"

                                "If Blake said that", said Father Brian, "he never lived in Dublin."
                                -- R. Bradbury, "The Machineries of Joy"

                              • Ben Schmidt
                                Message 15 of 22 , May 2, 2011
                                  >> The same might happen to this message. At this stage in composition,
                                  >> Thunderbird is showing latin1 as the encoding; if it indeed goes out
                                  >> like that, this message can serve as another test case.

                                  Of course, it goes without saying that Groups broke with tradition and
                                  didn't mangle that one. Maybe only some Groups servers have the bug, or
                                  it's something more complicated that triggers it. How annoying.

                                  > Ah, so you're right: this seems to be the copy that went straight from
                                  > Yahoo to Gmail, and the one that transited through GoogleGroups never
                                  > made it into my Inbox, even though the "To: vim_use@..."
                                  > triggered my mail filters to get this message out of Inbox and into
                                  > the Vim List folder.

                                  Well, that at least explains why you didn't see the problem the first
                                  time around, even if we don't know when exactly Groups breaks....

                                  Ben.

                                • Bram Moolenaar
                                  Message 16 of 22 , May 10, 2011
                                    Ben Schmidt wrote:

                                    > >> The same might happen to this message. At this stage in composition,
                                    > >> Thunderbird is showing latin1 as the encoding; if it indeed goes out
                                    > >> like that, this message can serve as another test case.
                                    >
                                    > Of course, it goes without saying that Groups broke with tradition and
                                    > didn't mangle that one. Maybe only some Groups servers have the bug, or
                                    > it's something more complicated that triggers it. How annoying.
                                    >
                                    > > Ah, so you're right: this seems to be the copy that went straight from
                                    > > Yahoo to Gmail, and the one that transited through GoogleGroups never
                                    > > made it into my Inbox, even though the "To: vim_use@..."
                                    > > triggered my mail filters to get this message out of Inbox and into
                                    > > the Vim List folder.
                                    >
                                    > Well, that at least explains why you didn't see the problem the first
                                    > time around, even if we don't know when exactly Groups breaks....

                                    I asked someone, and he says that it looks like the problem is caused by
                                    yahoo.com.au. Perhaps it depends on the way you route the message?

                                    65. The last time you looked at the clock it was 11:30pm, and in what
                                    seems like only a few seconds later, your sister runs past you to
                                    catch her 7am school bus.

                                  • Ben Schmidt
                                    Message 17 of 22 , May 10, 2011

                                      >> Of course, it goes without saying that Groups broke with tradition and
                                      >> didn't mangle that one. Maybe only some Groups servers have the bug, or
                                      >> it's something more complicated that triggers it. How annoying.
                                      >>
                                      >>> Ah, so you're right: this seems to be the copy that went straight from
                                      >>> Yahoo to Gmail, and the one that transited through GoogleGroups never
                                      >>> made it into my Inbox, even though the "To: vim_use@..."
                                      >>> triggered my mail filters to get this message out of Inbox and into
                                      >>> the Vim List folder.
                                      >>
                                      >> Well, that at least explains why you didn't see the problem the first
                                      >> time around, even if we don't know when exactly Groups breaks....
                                      >
                                      > I asked someone, and he says that it looks like the problem is caused by
                                      > yahoo.com.au. Perhaps it depends on the way you route the message?

                                      I won't say it's not Yahoo, but that seems unlikely to me, because it
                                      has happened with mail from other origins, and I can't think of anything
                                      that would cause Yahoo to do an encoding conversion when communicating
                                      with some remote servers and not others (or indeed at all). I give my
                                      mail to Yahoo using SMTP, so no browser issues are in play, and Yahoo
                                      doesn't even seem to do content filtering to append an ad (amazing!),
                                      but even if it did, it would be hard to explain why character set
                                      conversion would happen for some destinations and not others. AFAIK,
                                      nothing a destination mail server could report would cause an origin
                                      server to do a character set conversion. Transfer encoding, yes, but not
                                      character set. It seems more likely that some of Groups' jiggerypokery
                                      has a bug in it; after all, groups does a lot more than just deliver
                                      mail--it prepares it for web archives and so on as well, and character
                                      set issues definitely come into play there, so need to be dealt with.

                                      Not sure how we can track this down further. It only happens sometimes,
                                      so it may be that only some of Yahoo's or Groups' servers are affected.

                                      Naïvely,

                                      Ben.