Re: regex for special chars

  • Tim Chase
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 29 4:43 AM
      On 04/29/2011 04:18 AM, sinbad wrote:
      > searching for "^[[K^[[?1l^[>" using "/" works.
      > but when i use the same string in :%s, it says
      > the pattern is not found. how to make it recongnize
      > as "/" does. or is there any way to automatically
      > convert the string to equivalent regexp that :%s
      > understands.

      While I'm not sure what's happening, if you've already searched
      with "/", you can leave the search blank in the :s command:

      :%s//replacement/flags

      to search for the last thing searched.

      My first question would be to ask what the entire :s command is
      that you're using. If there's a "]" in the replacement, it can
      be seen as closing a character-class started in the search-part. E.g.

      searches for the first space/slash/ampersand on the line and
      replaces it with a "g". It doesn't look for all the "[ " and put
      a closing "]" after them. This can be prevented by escaping
      literal "[" characters (assuming that "^[" was a literal escape):

      :%s/^[\[K^[\[?1l^[>/replacement/g
      ^ ^
      Hope that gives you some leads.

      -tim