Re: about submatch in VIM

  • Tim Chase
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 1, 2011
      On 04/01/2011 07:01 AM, Coiby wrote:
      > I will appreciate it if you recommend some books on such topic.

      There are several books[1] and websites[2] regarding regular
      expressions. Popular books:

      - "Mastering Regular Expressions" (published by O'Reilly)
      - "Regular Expression Cookbook" (published by O'Reilly)
      - "Regular Expression Pocket Reference" (published by O'Reilly)

      Note that dialects & functionalities of regular expression vary
      from engine-to-engine, so the underlying ideas remain the same,
      but the implementations may differ superficially.

      -tim

      [1]
      http://www.google.com/search?q=regular+expression+books

      [2]
      http://www.regular-expressions.info
      seems pretty decent as a starting-point

    • David Ohlemacher
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 4, 2011
        I have a couple of those books.  But I keep going back to my Programming Perl book (camel book).  It has a nice and succinct (~10 pages) explanation of regex. It's perlish, but close to many implementations including Boost's.

        Boost's docs have a nice reference for the re syntax, but it wont teach you what they mean.
        http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_46_1/libs/regex/doc/html/boost_regex/syntax.html

        -d

        --
        David Ohlemacher
        Senior Software Engineer

        . o .
        . . o
        o o o

      • John Little
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 4, 2011
          On Apr 5, 3:36 am, David Ohlemacher <dohlemac...@...> wrote:
          > I have a couple of those books.  But I keep going back to my Programming
          > Perl book (camel book).  It has a nice and succinct (~10 pages)
          > explanation of regex.

          Yes, I used to print out and pin up part of pattern.txt in the Vim
          help from \@! to \@>, then I read the camel book and understood.

          Regards, John