Re: about submatch in VIM

  • Coiby
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 1, 2011
      Tim, thanks very much for your detailed reply!
      I will appreciate it if you recommend some books on such topic.

    • Tim Chase
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 1, 2011
        On 04/01/2011 07:01 AM, Coiby wrote:
        > I will appreciate it if you recommend some books on such topic.

        There are several books[1] and websites[2] regarding regular
        expressions. Popular books:

        - "Mastering Regular Expressions" (published by O'Reilly)
        - "Regular Expression Cookbook" (published by O'Reilly)
        - "Regular Expression Pocket Reference" (published by O'Reilly)

        Note that dialects & functionalities of regular expression vary
        from engine-to-engine, so the underlying ideas remain the same,
        but the implementations may differ superficially.

        -tim

        [1]
        http://www.google.com/search?q=regular+expression+books

        [2]
        http://www.regular-expressions.info
        seems pretty decent as a starting-point

      • David Ohlemacher
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 4, 2011
          I have a couple of those books.  But I keep going back to my Programming Perl book (camel book).  It has a nice and succinct (~10 pages) explanation of regex. It's perlish, but close to many implementations including Boost's.

          Boost's docs have a nice reference for the re syntax, but it wont teach you what they mean.
          http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_46_1/libs/regex/doc/html/boost_regex/syntax.html

          -d

          --
          David Ohlemacher
          Senior Software Engineer

          . o .
          . . o
          o o o

        • John Little
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 4, 2011
            On Apr 5, 3:36 am, David Ohlemacher <dohlemac...@...> wrote:
            > I have a couple of those books.  But I keep going back to my Programming
            > Perl book (camel book).  It has a nice and succinct (~10 pages)
            > explanation of regex.

            Yes, I used to print out and pin up part of pattern.txt in the Vim
            help from \@! to \@>, then I read the camel book and understood.

            Regards, John