Re: How to use color to search

  • Ben Fritz
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 1, 2011
      On Mar 11, 9:49 am, "lucentjames" <lucentja...@...> wrote:
      > Hi, All
      >
      > I am new to vim. Part of my job is to search a lot of key word from very large LOG files. I am sure I can use vim do it but do not know how.
      >
      > What I need to do is have some list of keyword group (keyword that have special chararters eg / . ? [ ])and use VIM to mark to different color.
      >
      > I worked for servial hours still can't get it work. Anybody can help?

      Or this alternate approach, if you prefer. Instead of marking the
      lines of interest with special colors, why not fold away all lines so
      that only the lines of interest are visible?

      http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Fold_regular_expression

    • David Ohlemacher
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 1, 2011
        I don't know what your *nix background is, but if you haven't looked at them, check out grep, sed, and/or awk.  One reason is that you said "files".   With sed/awk you could process all your files and generate arbitrarily "nice" report(s) of just what you are looking for and do it for entire directories of files all at once.  I love vim, but in this case, I would use vim to review those reports.

        -d