Is it safe to build Vim with "make -j"?

  • Michael Henry
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 1, 2011
      All,

      Is it safe to use "make -j" when building vim (either as
      "make -j 2", for example, or plain "make -j" to build with
      an "unlimited" number of simultaneous jobs)?

      While it appears to work, I know that Makefiles are not always
      written with full dependencies in place, which can cause parallel
      build to fail, so I wanted to check whether parallel building
      of Vim is known to be safe.

      Thanks,
      Michael Henry

    • ZyX
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 1, 2011
        Reply to message «Is it safe to build Vim with "make -j"?»,
        sent 14:43:17 01 April 2011, Friday
        by Michael Henry:

        It is not the official answer, but I can say that `make -j5' works for me and
        Gentoo ebuild maintainers did not make ebuild ignore user MAKEOPTS (where number
        of jobs is commonly defined), though some ebuilds do ignore MAKEOPTS.

        > Is it safe to use "make -j" when building vim (either as
        > "make -j 2", for example, or plain "make -j" to build with
        > an "unlimited" number of simultaneous jobs)?
        >
        > While it appears to work, I know that Makefiles are not always
        > written with full dependencies in place, which can cause parallel
        > build to fail, so I wanted to check whether parallel building
        > of Vim is known to be safe.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Michael Henry
      • Dominique Pellé
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 1, 2011
          Michael Henry wrote:

          > All,
          >
          > Is it safe to use "make -j" when building vim (either as
          > "make -j 2", for example, or plain "make -j" to build with
          > an "unlimited" number of simultaneous jobs)?
          >
          > While it appears to work, I know that Makefiles are not always
          > written with full dependencies in place, which can cause parallel
          > build to fail, so I wanted to check whether parallel building
          > of Vim is known to be safe.
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Michael Henry

          "make -j 2" may works. I tried several times without error.
          But that's not enough to be 100% sure.

          "make -j 2 test" does not work.

          -- Dominique