Re: How to git correctly...?

  • Ivan Sichmann Freitas
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 30 7:34 PM
      On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 04:32:01AM +0200, meino.cramer@... wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > I want to check out the git repository for vim and I want
      > to update it from time to time.
      >
      > I did this before but it seems, that I doing something wrong,
      > since vim did not compile anymore...
      >
      > What are the two commands needed to perform both of the above
      > tasks correctly?

      IIRC, the git mirror of vim's repository was discontinued (was not even
      official). Anyway, cloning the mercurial repo and building from there works.

      --
      Ivan Sichmann Freitas
      GNU/Linux user #509059
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 30 7:49 PM
        Ivan Sichmann Freitas <ivansichfreitas@...> [11-03-31 04:40]:
        > On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 04:32:01AM +0200, meino.cramer@... wrote:
        > >
        > > Hi,
        > >
        > > I want to check out the git repository for vim and I want
        > > to update it from time to time.
        > >
        > > I did this before but it seems, that I doing something wrong,
        > > since vim did not compile anymore...
        > >
        > > What are the two commands needed to perform both of the above
        > > tasks correctly?
        > >

        > IIRC, the git mirror of vim's repository was discontinued (was not even
        > official). Anyway, cloning the mercurial repo and building from there works.
        >
        > --
        > Ivan Sichmann Freitas
        > GNU/Linux user #509059

        Hi Ivan!

        Thanks for your reply !:)

        What are the two commands needed for hq/mercurial to do the two
        tasks correctly?

        Best regards
        mcc

      • Ivan Sichmann Freitas
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 30 7:59 PM
          > What are the two commands needed for hq/mercurial to do the two
          > tasks correctly?

          The detailed explanation can be found here: http://www.vim.org/mercurial.php

          In resume, you could use:

          hg clone https://vim.googlecode.com/hg/ vim

          For updating:

          hg pull
          hg update

          Then follow the normal building instructions.

          --
          Ivan Sichmann Freitas
          GNU/Linux user #509059
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 30 8:10 PM
            Ivan Sichmann Freitas <ivansichfreitas@...> [11-03-31 05:04]:
            > > What are the two commands needed for hq/mercurial to do the two
            > > tasks correctly?
            >
            > The detailed explanation can be found here: http://www.vim.org/mercurial.php
            >
            > In resume, you could use:
            >
            > hg clone https://vim.googlecode.com/hg/ vim
            >
            > For updating:
            >
            > hg pull
            > hg update
            >
            > Then follow the normal building instructions.
            >
            > --
            > Ivan Sichmann Freitas
            > GNU/Linux user #509059

            Hi Ivan!

            Thanks a lot ! :) :) :)

            Best regards
            mcc

          • Ivan Krasilnikov
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 30 8:40 PM
              On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 06:34, Ivan Sichmann Freitas
              <ivansichfreitas@...> wrote:
              > IIRC, the git mirror of vim's repository was discontinued

              Nope, the following mirror by macvim's maintainer is very much alive
              and up-to-date
              https://github.com/b4winckler

            • Ivan Sichmann Freitas
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 30 8:52 PM
                > Nope, the following mirror by macvim's maintainer is very much alive
                > and up-to-date
                > https://github.com/b4winckler

                Great! I didn't know that one. +1 for being hosted on github, starting to watch
                it right now.

                --
                Ivan Sichmann Freitas
                GNU/Linux user #509059
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 30 10:26 PM
                  On 31/03/11 05:10, meino.cramer@... wrote:
                  > Ivan Sichmann Freitas<ivansichfreitas@...> [11-03-31 05:04]:
                  >>> What are the two commands needed for hq/mercurial to do the two
                  >>> tasks correctly?
                  >>
                  >> The detailed explanation can be found here: http://www.vim.org/mercurial.php
                  >>
                  >> In resume, you could use:
                  >>
                  >> hg clone https://vim.googlecode.com/hg/ vim
                  >>
                  >> For updating:
                  >>
                  >> hg pull
                  >> hg update
                  >>
                  >> Then follow the normal building instructions.
                  >>
                  >> --
                  >> Ivan Sichmann Freitas
                  >> GNU/Linux user #509059
                  >

                  > Hi Ivan!
                  >
                  > Thanks a lot ! :) :) :)
                  >
                  > Best regards
                  > mcc

                  I seem to have come to this thread after most had been said; but you
                  might still be interested in
                  http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Getting_the_Vim_source_with_Mercurial
                  and for Unix-like OSes
                  http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/compunix.htm

                  For Windows there is also a compile.htm in the same directory as
                  compunix.htm but now that "Vim without Cream" distributions are
                  available with very little lag after each new official patch, most users
                  won't need to compile Vim on Windows.