How to git correctly...?

  • meino.cramer@gmx.de
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 30, 2011

      I want to check out the git repository for vim and I want
      to update it from time to time.

      I did this before but it seems, that I doing something wrong,
      since vim did not compile anymore...

      What are the two commands needed to perform both of the above
      tasks correctly?

      Best regards,
      mcc

    • Ivan Sichmann Freitas
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 30, 2011
        On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 04:32:01AM +0200, meino.cramer@... wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > I want to check out the git repository for vim and I want
        > to update it from time to time.
        >
        > I did this before but it seems, that I doing something wrong,
        > since vim did not compile anymore...
        >
        > What are the two commands needed to perform both of the above
        > tasks correctly?

        IIRC, the git mirror of vim's repository was discontinued (was not even
        official). Anyway, cloning the mercurial repo and building from there works.

        --
        Ivan Sichmann Freitas
        GNU/Linux user #509059
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 30, 2011
          Ivan Sichmann Freitas <ivansichfreitas@...> [11-03-31 04:40]:
          > On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 04:32:01AM +0200, meino.cramer@... wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi,
          > >
          > > I want to check out the git repository for vim and I want
          > > to update it from time to time.
          > >
          > > I did this before but it seems, that I doing something wrong,
          > > since vim did not compile anymore...
          > >
          > > What are the two commands needed to perform both of the above
          > > tasks correctly?
          > >

          > IIRC, the git mirror of vim's repository was discontinued (was not even
          > official). Anyway, cloning the mercurial repo and building from there works.
          >
          > --
          > Ivan Sichmann Freitas
          > GNU/Linux user #509059

          Hi Ivan!

          Thanks for your reply !:)

          What are the two commands needed for hq/mercurial to do the two
          tasks correctly?

          Best regards
          mcc

        • Ivan Sichmann Freitas
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 30, 2011
            > What are the two commands needed for hq/mercurial to do the two
            > tasks correctly?

            The detailed explanation can be found here: http://www.vim.org/mercurial.php

            In resume, you could use:

            hg clone https://vim.googlecode.com/hg/ vim

            For updating:

            hg pull
            hg update

            Then follow the normal building instructions.

            --
            Ivan Sichmann Freitas
            GNU/Linux user #509059
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 30, 2011
              Ivan Sichmann Freitas <ivansichfreitas@...> [11-03-31 05:04]:
              > > What are the two commands needed for hq/mercurial to do the two
              > > tasks correctly?
              >
              > The detailed explanation can be found here: http://www.vim.org/mercurial.php
              >
              > In resume, you could use:
              >
              > hg clone https://vim.googlecode.com/hg/ vim
              >
              > For updating:
              >
              > hg pull
              > hg update
              >
              > Then follow the normal building instructions.
              >
              > --
              > Ivan Sichmann Freitas
              > GNU/Linux user #509059

              Hi Ivan!

              Thanks a lot ! :) :) :)

              Best regards
              mcc

            • Ivan Krasilnikov
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 30, 2011
                On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 06:34, Ivan Sichmann Freitas
                <ivansichfreitas@...> wrote:
                > IIRC, the git mirror of vim's repository was discontinued

                Nope, the following mirror by macvim's maintainer is very much alive
                and up-to-date
                https://github.com/b4winckler

              • Ivan Sichmann Freitas
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 30, 2011
                  > Nope, the following mirror by macvim's maintainer is very much alive
                  > and up-to-date
                  > https://github.com/b4winckler

                  Great! I didn't know that one. +1 for being hosted on github, starting to watch
                  it right now.

                  --
                  Ivan Sichmann Freitas
                  GNU/Linux user #509059
                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 30, 2011
                    On 31/03/11 05:10, meino.cramer@... wrote:
                    > Ivan Sichmann Freitas<ivansichfreitas@...> [11-03-31 05:04]:
                    >>> What are the two commands needed for hq/mercurial to do the two
                    >>> tasks correctly?
                    >>
                    >> The detailed explanation can be found here: http://www.vim.org/mercurial.php
                    >>
                    >> In resume, you could use:
                    >>
                    >> hg clone https://vim.googlecode.com/hg/ vim
                    >>
                    >> For updating:
                    >>
                    >> hg pull
                    >> hg update
                    >>
                    >> Then follow the normal building instructions.
                    >>
                    >> --
                    >> Ivan Sichmann Freitas
                    >> GNU/Linux user #509059
                    >

                    > Hi Ivan!
                    >
                    > Thanks a lot ! :) :) :)
                    >
                    > Best regards
                    > mcc

                    I seem to have come to this thread after most had been said; but you
                    might still be interested in
                    http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Getting_the_Vim_source_with_Mercurial
                    and for Unix-like OSes
                    http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/compunix.htm

                    For Windows there is also a compile.htm in the same directory as
                    compunix.htm but now that "Vim without Cream" distributions are
                    available with very little lag after each new official patch, most users
                    won't need to compile Vim on Windows.