Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.
 

[SOLVED] Re: Make vim use the right external program

Expand Messages
  • BPJ
    ... Problem solved. PATH and everything such was correctly set, which was part of why I was confused (should have mentioned that! :-) but I had made a typo in
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 29 12:10 AM
      2011-03-28 19:48, Gary Johnson skrev:
      > On 2011-03-28, Tim Chase wrote:
      >> On 03/28/2011 08:11 AM, BPJ wrote:
      >>> How can I make
      >>>
      >>> :!perl ...
      >>>
      >>> use the perl symlinked at ~/bin/perl
      >>> rather than /usr/bin/perl without actually
      >>> having to type :!~/bin/perl every time?
      >>
      >> What's your $PATH set to?
      >>
      >> You can find out what your system thinks it's set to with
      >>
      >> set PATH
      >>
      >> at the command-prompt and you can show what Vim thinks it is by
      >> issuing
      >>
      >> :echo $PATH
      >>
      >> your ~/bin directory should precede /usr/bin in the path. If it
      >> follows /usr/bin or is absent, you need to set your path
      >> accordingly (and export it if you're on *nix). Usually you can
      >> tweak this in your .bashrc, .bash_profile, or your Environment
      >> Variables dialog on (win32).
      >>
      >> In my .bash_profile it reads:
      >>
      >> if [ -d ~/bin ] ; then
      >> export PATH=~/bin:"${PATH}"
      >> fi
      >>
      >> and in my Win32, I have a local User setting something like
      >>
      >> PATH=c:\users\tchase\bin;%PATH%
      >
      > Or, if you want that PATH setting only when using Vim, or if you're
      > launching gvim from your window manager and you put your PATH
      > setting in a shell configuration file that's not read into your
      > window manager's environment, you can set PATH within your ~/.vimrc
      > like this:
      >
      > let $PATH = "~/bin:" . $PATH
      >
      > (Unfortunately, :let doesn't have a ^= operator like :set has.)
      >
      > Regards,
      > Gary
      >

      Problem solved. PATH and everything such was correctly set,
      which was part of why I was confused (should have mentioned
      that! :-) but I had made a typo in the filename of a filter
      script so that the old version wasn't overwritten when I
      cp'ed the new version to where I keep my filters. I thought
      the strange results I got when filtering a particular chunk
      of text yesterday was due to the perl 5.10 named capture bug
      when in fact I was using the wrong version of the script.

      Thanks to both of you anyway!

      /bp

      --
      You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
      Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
      For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
    Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.