Re: setting the name of the swap file?

  • Benjamin R. Haskell
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 2 10:04 AM
      On Wed, 2 Mar 2011, Matt Martini wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > Is it possible to change the name of the swap file that Vim uses?
      >
      > I have just started using a centralized location for swapfiles with
      > the 'directory' option.  However, I am running into a problem of name
      > space collision, or lack of same.

      Append two slashes to the end of your setting.

      From :help 'directory':

      - For Unix and Win32, if a directory ends in two path separators "//" or
      "\\", the swap file name will be built from the complete path to the
      file with all path separators substituted to percent '%' signs. This
      will ensure file name uniqueness in the preserve directory.

      E.g. I use:

      " (some stuff to create ~/.vim-tmp if it doesn't exist)
      " then:
      set directory=~/.vim-tmp//,~/.tmp//,~/tmp//,/tmp//

      --
      Best,
      Ben