Re: Non sequential diff

  • Hugh Sasse
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 2, 2011
      On Wed, 2 Mar 2011, Schorschie wrote:

      > Hello Forum,
      >
      > I'm quite new here, so I'm not familiar with your etiquette yet. I can
      > indtroduce myself later if you want.
      >
      > I'm currently comparing a lot of text*) so I was wondering weather
      > there is something wich finds me blocks of similar text in different
      > context of a file. Google couldn't help me so far and I think this
      > should be quite tricky, too.

      So are you looking for similar strings, or, as the subject says, differences?
      If you are looking for matching sequences, then you may want a suffix array,
      I think:

      https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Suffix_array

      That page doesn't cite "Programming Pearls" by Jon Bentley,
      but it could cite section 15.2

      If you don't want to write the code to do this,
      http://sary.sourceforge.net/#usage-tools
      might be useful.

      Other things to look at could be suffix trees,
      https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Suffix_tree

      and the longest common substring problem
      https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Longest_common_substring_problem

      > Greetings,
      > Grzegorz

      HTH