Non sequential diff

  • Schorschie
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 2, 2011
      Hello Forum,

      I'm quite new here, so I'm not familiar with your etiquette yet. I can
      indtroduce myself later if you want.

      I'm currently comparing a lot of text*) so I was wondering weather
      there is something wich finds me blocks of similar text in different
      context of a file. Google couldn't help me so far and I think this
      should be quite tricky, too.

      Greetings,
      Grzegorz

      *) Not the dissertation of MdB Karl Theodor (...) von und zu
      Guttenberg...

    • Ben Schmidt
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 2, 2011
        On 2/03/11 7:37 PM, Schorschie wrote:
        > Hello Forum,
        >
        > I'm quite new here, so I'm not familiar with your etiquette yet. I can
        > indtroduce myself later if you want.
        >
        > I'm currently comparing a lot of text*) so I was wondering weather
        > there is something wich finds me blocks of similar text in different
        > context of a file. Google couldn't help me so far and I think this
        > should be quite tricky, too.

        I'm finding it diffcult to understand what you want. Can you give an
        example?

        Ben.

      • Hugh Sasse
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 2, 2011
          On Wed, 2 Mar 2011, Schorschie wrote:

          > Hello Forum,
          >
          > I'm quite new here, so I'm not familiar with your etiquette yet. I can
          > indtroduce myself later if you want.
          >
          > I'm currently comparing a lot of text*) so I was wondering weather
          > there is something wich finds me blocks of similar text in different
          > context of a file. Google couldn't help me so far and I think this
          > should be quite tricky, too.

          So are you looking for similar strings, or, as the subject says, differences?
          If you are looking for matching sequences, then you may want a suffix array,
          I think:

          https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Suffix_array

          That page doesn't cite "Programming Pearls" by Jon Bentley,
          but it could cite section 15.2

          If you don't want to write the code to do this,
          http://sary.sourceforge.net/#usage-tools
          might be useful.

          Other things to look at could be suffix trees,
          https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Suffix_tree

          and the longest common substring problem
          https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Longest_common_substring_problem

          > Greetings,
          > Grzegorz

          HTH