How to jump to position where last change was made after moving to another file?

  • robert song
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1, 2011
      Hi, everyone.

      In one file, we can use '. to jump to the position where the last
      change was made.

      But if we jump to another file, it can not be used and vim said that
      mark is not set.

      For example, I use cscope and jump to the definition of one variable,
      but if I want to return beck to previous place I modified, I should
      use ctrl+o and '. , is there any way to jump directly?

      Regards,
      robert

    • Marc Weber
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 1, 2011
        Excerpts from robert song's message of Wed Mar 02 07:03:34 +0000 2011:
        > For example, I use cscope and jump to the definition of one variable,
        > but if I want to return beck to previous place I modified, I should
        > use ctrl+o and '. , is there any way to jump directly?

        there is also c-^ or :b #
        no. But you can use auto commands (leave insert mode) to create your own
        jump list.

        Marc Weber

      • Christian Brabandt
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 1, 2011
          On Wed, March 2, 2011 8:03 am, robert song wrote:
          > In one file, we can use '. to jump to the position where the last
          > change was made.
          >
          > But if we jump to another file, it can not be used and vim said that
          > mark is not set.
          >
          > For example, I use cscope and jump to the definition of one variable,
          > but if I want to return beck to previous place I modified, I should
          > use ctrl+o and '. , is there any way to jump directly?

          I don't think so. You could always map both commands to e.g. <f7> or so.

          regards,
          Christian

        • robert song
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 2, 2011
            On 3/2/11, Marc Weber <marco-oweber@...> wrote:
            > Excerpts from robert song's message of Wed Mar 02 07:03:34 +0000 2011:
            >> For example, I use cscope and jump to the definition of one variable,
            >> but if I want to return beck to previous place I modified, I should
            >> use ctrl+o and '. , is there any way to jump directly?
            >
            > there is also c-^ or :b #
            > no. But you can use auto commands (leave insert mode) to create your own
            > jump list.

            thank you very much,
            I can also use mA to mark the modified place, and then jump to the
            place by 'A.

            Regards,
            robert