Re: Edit same in two windows same Vim session

  • Marc Weber
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 1, 2011
      Excerpts from Colin Beighley's message of Wed Mar 02 03:52:04 +0000 2011:
      > I'm wondering if anyone knows of a way to edit the same file in two windows
      > in the same Vim session, where the file within the two windows stays in sync
      > with eachother.

      Vim does not support this AFAIK.
      Splitting Windows is closest you can get. Eg :sp

      Emacs can do it (eg with vimpulse plugin). Probably this is no option.

      Marc Weber

    • Benjamin R. Haskell
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 1, 2011
        On Tue, 1 Mar 2011, Colin Beighley wrote:

        > Hello,
        >
        > I'm wondering if anyone knows of a way to edit the same file in two
        > windows in the same Vim session, where the file within the two windows
        > stays in sync with eachother.

        If you really just want two windows (with no other windows), it's
        particularly easy:

        :sp | windo se scb crb

        :sp[lit] splits the current buffer
        '|' (<bar>) separates two commands
        :windo does something over every window
        :se[t] sets a variable in each of those windows
        'scb' is short for 'scrollbind'
        'crb' is short for 'cursorbind'

        More info on each at:

        :help :split
        :help :bar
        :help :windo
        :help :set
        :help 'scrollbind'
        :help 'cursorbind'

        For two arbitrary windows, with possibly many other windows open, it's
        only slightly more complex, possibly with a better way to do it.

        :se scb crb | sp | se crb

        The second :se[t] command is necessary because the 'cursorbind' setting
        isn't copied through the :sp[lit].

        If you want vertical rather than horizontal splits, change the :sp[lit]
        commands to :vs[plit]'s:

        e.g.
        :se scb crb | vs | se crb

        :help :vsplit

        --
        Best,
        Ben

      • Colin Beighley
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 2, 2011
          Actually I didn't test this before I sent the message (sorry) and it
          appears that Vim automatically does this when you edit the same file
          in two windows in the same session.

          On Mar 1, 8:48 pm, "Benjamin R. Haskell" <v...@...> wrote:
          > On Tue, 1 Mar 2011, Colin Beighley wrote:
          > > Hello,
          >
          > > I'm wondering if anyone knows of a way to edit the same file in two
          > > windows in the same Vim session, where the file within the two windows
          > > stays in sync with eachother.
          >
          > If you really just want two windows (with no other windows), it's
          > particularly easy:
          >
          > :sp | windo se scb crb
          >
          > :sp[lit] splits the current buffer
          > '|' (<bar>) separates two commands
          > :windo does something over every window
          > :se[t] sets a variable in each of those windows
          > 'scb' is short for 'scrollbind'
          > 'crb' is short for 'cursorbind'
          >
          > More info on each at:
          >
          > :help :split
          > :help :bar
          > :help :windo
          > :help :set
          > :help 'scrollbind'
          > :help 'cursorbind'
          >
          > For two arbitrary windows, with possibly many other windows open, it's
          > only slightly more complex, possibly with a better way to do it.
          >
          > :se scb crb | sp | se crb
          >
          > The second :se[t] command is necessary because the 'cursorbind' setting
          > isn't copied through the :sp[lit].
          >
          > If you want vertical rather than horizontal splits, change the :sp[lit]
          > commands to :vs[plit]'s:
          >
          > e.g.
          > :se scb crb | vs | se crb
          >
          > :help :vsplit
          >
          > --
          > Best,
          > Ben

        • Charles E Campbell Jr
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 22, 2011
            Colin Beighley wrote:
            > Actually I didn't test this before I sent the message (sorry) and it
            > appears that Vim automatically does this when you edit the same file
            > in two windows in the same session.
            >
            > On Mar 1, 8:48 pm, "Benjamin R. Haskell"<v...@...> wrote:
            >
            >> On Tue, 1 Mar 2011, Colin Beighley wrote:
            >>
            >>> Hello,
            >>>

            >>> I'm wondering if anyone knows of a way to edit the same file in two
            >>> windows in the same Vim session, where the file within the two windows
            >>> stays in sync with eachother.

            FYI: The MPage plugin (see
            http://mysite.verizon.net/astronaut/vim/index.html#MPAGE) allows one to
            have multiple windows open on the same file with sequential windows
            showing sequential lines of text.

            Regards,
            Chip Campbell