Edit same in two windows same Vim session

  • Colin Beighley
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 1, 2011
      Hello,

      I'm wondering if anyone knows of a way to edit the same file in two windows in the same Vim session, where the file within the two windows stays in sync with eachother.

      Thanks,
      Colin

    • Marc Weber
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 1, 2011
        Excerpts from Colin Beighley's message of Wed Mar 02 03:52:04 +0000 2011:
        > I'm wondering if anyone knows of a way to edit the same file in two windows
        > in the same Vim session, where the file within the two windows stays in sync
        > with eachother.

        Vim does not support this AFAIK.
        Splitting Windows is closest you can get. Eg :sp

        Emacs can do it (eg with vimpulse plugin). Probably this is no option.

        Marc Weber

      • Benjamin R. Haskell
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 1, 2011
          On Tue, 1 Mar 2011, Colin Beighley wrote:

          > Hello,
          >
          > I'm wondering if anyone knows of a way to edit the same file in two
          > windows in the same Vim session, where the file within the two windows
          > stays in sync with eachother.

          If you really just want two windows (with no other windows), it's
          particularly easy:

          :sp | windo se scb crb

          :sp[lit] splits the current buffer
          '|' (<bar>) separates two commands
          :windo does something over every window
          :se[t] sets a variable in each of those windows
          'scb' is short for 'scrollbind'
          'crb' is short for 'cursorbind'

          More info on each at:

          :help :split
          :help :bar
          :help :windo
          :help :set
          :help 'scrollbind'
          :help 'cursorbind'

          For two arbitrary windows, with possibly many other windows open, it's
          only slightly more complex, possibly with a better way to do it.

          :se scb crb | sp | se crb

          The second :se[t] command is necessary because the 'cursorbind' setting
          isn't copied through the :sp[lit].

          If you want vertical rather than horizontal splits, change the :sp[lit]
          commands to :vs[plit]'s:

          e.g.
          :se scb crb | vs | se crb

          :help :vsplit

          --
          Best,
          Ben

        • Colin Beighley
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 2, 2011
            Actually I didn't test this before I sent the message (sorry) and it
            appears that Vim automatically does this when you edit the same file
            in two windows in the same session.

            On Mar 1, 8:48 pm, "Benjamin R. Haskell" <v...@...> wrote:
            > On Tue, 1 Mar 2011, Colin Beighley wrote:
            > > Hello,
            >
            > > I'm wondering if anyone knows of a way to edit the same file in two
            > > windows in the same Vim session, where the file within the two windows
            > > stays in sync with eachother.
            >
            > If you really just want two windows (with no other windows), it's
            > particularly easy:
            >
            > :sp | windo se scb crb
            >
            > :sp[lit] splits the current buffer
            > '|' (<bar>) separates two commands
            > :windo does something over every window
            > :se[t] sets a variable in each of those windows
            > 'scb' is short for 'scrollbind'
            > 'crb' is short for 'cursorbind'
            >
            > More info on each at:
            >
            > :help :split
            > :help :bar
            > :help :windo
            > :help :set
            > :help 'scrollbind'
            > :help 'cursorbind'
            >
            > For two arbitrary windows, with possibly many other windows open, it's
            > only slightly more complex, possibly with a better way to do it.
            >
            > :se scb crb | sp | se crb
            >
            > The second :se[t] command is necessary because the 'cursorbind' setting
            > isn't copied through the :sp[lit].
            >
            > If you want vertical rather than horizontal splits, change the :sp[lit]
            > commands to :vs[plit]'s:
            >
            > e.g.
            > :se scb crb | vs | se crb
            >
            > :help :vsplit
            >
            > --
            > Best,
            > Ben

          • Charles E Campbell Jr
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 22, 2011
              Colin Beighley wrote:
              > Actually I didn't test this before I sent the message (sorry) and it
              > appears that Vim automatically does this when you edit the same file
              > in two windows in the same session.
              >
              > On Mar 1, 8:48 pm, "Benjamin R. Haskell"<v...@...> wrote:
              >
              >> On Tue, 1 Mar 2011, Colin Beighley wrote:
              >>
              >>> Hello,
              >>>

              >>> I'm wondering if anyone knows of a way to edit the same file in two
              >>> windows in the same Vim session, where the file within the two windows
              >>> stays in sync with eachother.

              FYI: The MPage plugin (see
              http://mysite.verizon.net/astronaut/vim/index.html#MPAGE) allows one to
              have multiple windows open on the same file with sequential windows
              showing sequential lines of text.

              Regards,
              Chip Campbell