[bug] vim incorrectly highlights words such as "L'Italie" as mistake with French spelling checker (same bug with Italian spelling checker)

  • Dominique Pellé
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 27, 2011
      Hi

      French spelling checker of Vim-7.3.135 incorrectly highlights "L'Italie"
      as a mistake at the beginning of a sentence such as:

      L'Italie est un pays européen. [fr]

      Pressing z= suggests "l'Italie" but that's incorrect at the beginning
      of the sentence.

      It is a systematic problem with all words starting with L'+Uppercase
      such as: L'Amérique, L'Angleterre, etc.

      ":spelldump" shows words such as:

      l'Amérique
      l'Angleterre
      l'Italie

      I see the same problem with the Italian spelling checker: "L'Italia"
      is incorrectly marked as a mistake in a correct sentence such as:

      L'Italia è un Paese europeo. [it]

      I suspect that the problem comes from Vim rather than from the
      the French or Italian myspell files:

      vim/runtime/spell/it/it_IT.dic contains:

      Italia/TUqrs

      vim/runtime/spell/it/it_IT.aff contains:

      MIDWORD '

      ...snip...

      PFX T 0 l' [aeiouhAEIOUH]
      PFX T a l'A a
      PFX T e l'E e
      PFX T i l'I i
      PFX T o l'O o
      PFX T u l'U u
      PFX T h l'H h

      Regards
      -- Dominique

    • Bram Moolenaar
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 27, 2011
        Dominique Pelle wrote:

        > French spelling checker of Vim-7.3.135 incorrectly highlights "L'Italie"
        > as a mistake at the beginning of a sentence such as:
        >
        > L'Italie est un pays européen. [fr]
        >
        > Pressing z= suggests "l'Italie" but that's incorrect at the beginning
        > of the sentence.
        >
        > It is a systematic problem with all words starting with L'+Uppercase
        > such as: L'Amérique, L'Angleterre, etc.
        >
        > ":spelldump" shows words such as:
        >
        > l'Amérique
        > l'Angleterre
        > l'Italie
        >
        > I see the same problem with the Italian spelling checker: "L'Italia"
        > is incorrectly marked as a mistake in a correct sentence such as:
        >
        > L'Italia è un Paese europeo. [it]
        >
        > I suspect that the problem comes from Vim rather than from the
        > the French or Italian myspell files:
        >
        > vim/runtime/spell/it/it_IT.dic contains:
        >
        > Italia/TUqrs
        >
        > vim/runtime/spell/it/it_IT.aff contains:
        >
        > MIDWORD '
        >
        > ...snip...
        >
        > PFX T 0 l' [aeiouhAEIOUH]
        > PFX T a l'A a
        > PFX T e l'E e
        > PFX T i l'I i
        > PFX T o l'O o
        > PFX T u l'U u
        > PFX T h l'H h

        I vagueally recall doing something for this. In Dutch it's slightly
        different. This may require a flag in the .aff file to tell the spell
        checker what the rule is at the start of the sentence for letters with a
        single quote.

        --
        ARTHUR: Will you ask your master if he wants to join my court at Camelot?!
        GUARD #1: But then of course African swallows are not migratory.