Window resizing

  • David Kahn
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 26, 2011
      I am having some trouble following (or getting the expected result) following the documentation in resizing a window:

      :res[ize] -N                    *:res* *:resize* *CTRL-W_-*
      CTRL-W -    Decrease current window height by N (default 1).
              If used after |:vertical|: decrease width by N.

      :res[ize] +N                    *CTRL-W_+*
      CTRL-W +    Increase current window height by N (default 1).
              If used after |:vertical|: increase width by N.

      I can use :res [+/-] N fine. But I cant get the ctrl w + and ctrl w - to work. I am on a macbook and using the + and - keys to the left of the delete key (so I have to press shift additionally to get the + key). Does anyone use this successfully? I guess I could map :res +1 and :res - 1 to a function key....

    • AK
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 26, 2011
        On 02/26/2011 07:13 PM, David Kahn wrote:
        > I am having some trouble following (or getting the expected result)
        > following the documentation in resizing a window:
        >
        > :res[ize] -N *:res* *:resize* *CTRL-W_-*
        > CTRL-W - Decrease current window height by N (default 1).
        > If used after |:vertical|: decrease width by N.
        >
        > :res[ize] +N *CTRL-W_+*
        > CTRL-W + Increase current window height by N (default 1).
        > If used after |:vertical|: increase width by N.
        >

        > I can use :res [+/-] N fine. But I cant get the ctrl w + and ctrl w - to
        > work. I am on a macbook and using the + and - keys to the left of the
        > delete key (so I have to press shift additionally to get the + key).
        > Does anyone use this successfully? I guess I could map :res +1 and :res
        > - 1 to a function key....

        I don't have a mac but I think this is the type of action that
        should be mapped either to f-key or alt- or ctrl- combo because
        you will often want to change win size by 10 or more lines,
        and it's far easier to do when you can hold a modifier key
        and keep hitting the shortcut, or even holding it for large
        resizes.

        -Rainyday

      • Bee
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 26, 2011
          On Feb 26, 4:13 pm, David Kahn <d...@...> wrote:
          > I am having some trouble following (or getting the expected result)
          > following the documentation in resizing a window:
          >
          > :res[ize] -N                    *:res* *:resize* *CTRL-W_-*
          > CTRL-W -    Decrease current window height by N (default 1).
          >         If used after |:vertical|: decrease width by N.
          >
          > :res[ize] +N                    *CTRL-W_+*
          > CTRL-W +    Increase current window height by N (default 1).
          >         If used after |:vertical|: increase width by N.
          >
          > I can use :res [+/-] N fine. But I cant get the ctrl w + and ctrl w - to
          > work. I am on a macbook and using the + and - keys to the left of the delete
          > key (so I have to press shift additionally to get the + key). Does anyone
          > use this successfully? I guess I could map :res +1 and :res - 1 to a
          > function key....

          I assume you are using vim in terminal, but I think this also works
          for vim-app and MacVim. I am using terminal vim.

          These work fine for the "window" height, that is the vim window WITHIN
          the limit of the terminal window.

          ctrl-w -
          ctrl-w + (yes use shift =)

          These work for changing the width WITHIN the limit of the terminal
          window.

          ctrl-w <
          ctrl-w >

          If you want the vim and terminal "window" to change height use:

          " set an absolute size
          set lines=44

          " one side makes you smaller, the other taller

          " make the window 4 lines smaller
          set lines-=4

          " make the window 4 lines taller
          set lines+=4

          -Bill

        • David Kahn
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 1, 2011
            On Sat, Feb 26, 2011 at 6:24 PM, AK <andrei.avk@...> wrote:
[...]

            Thanks to everyone... I ended up mapping :res +5 and :res -5 to function keys... on the mac the only thing was to turn off all those default uses of the function keys that I never really use but interfere with vim. One step closer to mouseless!