Re: Remapping CTRL-I to

  • Chris Jones
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 1, 2011
      On Tue, Feb 01, 2011 at 05:49:13AM EST, Erik Christiansen wrote:
      > On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 07:37:17AM +0100, Christophe-Marie Duquesne wrote:
      > > On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 6:52 AM, Ben Schmidt
      > > <mail_ben_schmidt@...> wrote:

      > > I think using an external tool such as xmodmap, you could remap <c-i>
      > > to <esc>, but this solution would affect the whole system.
      >
      > Originally to compensate for a uselessly small laptop ESC key, I long
      > ago remapped "Caps Lock" to ESC:

      I tried that.. but the problem is that I have switched the location of
      CapsLock and Left Control.. And on a ThinkPad keyboard, the left Control
      key sits between the Fn key and the Logo key.. it's also smaller than on
      most keyboards.. Makes hitting it accurately even more of a challenge
      than hitting the CTRL-[ combo.

      Other things that I tried include remapping Escape to a double keystroke
      such as in

      :inoremap ;; <Esc>

      but that didn't work out very well either.

      > To change CAPS_LOCK to ESCAPE, put into ~/.Xmodmap:
      > keycode 0x42 = Escape
      > clear Lock # Disable Caps-Lock

      > Now I use it on desktops as well, because I've never found a use for
      > "Caps Lock" [1].

      Apart from old-fashioned typing drills..

      > Since ESC is used so much in vim, it seems useful to have it on
      > a single key. Consistent behaviour across all applications is an
      > advantage, I find.

      Yes that's the main problem with remapping. Pretty useless if it clashes
      with any other environment you use freaquently.. And the reason I am
      dreaming of a desktop that gives you the option of some form of Vim
      mode. I actually patched Window Maker, so that I could use hjkl to move
      around menus.

      Thanks,

      cj