Re: Help, please

  • Benjamin R. Haskell
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 1, 2011
      On Sat, 29 Jan 2011, Ed Bradford wrote:

      > I use DropBox. I edit a file on computer "A" and FORGET to exit vim.
      > Now on computer "B", the .swp file prevents me from editing. I know I
      > can ignore and just to go computer. However, VIM and DropBox could
      > solve my problem by having an option to update on 1,4,16,64,256 second
      > intervals and abandoning the lock file that is the .swp file. DropBox
      > has solved the SYNC problem. Please embrace it and make DropBox and
      > VIM work as people WANT, not as developer's expect.

      I guess I didn't read the initial problem closely enough...

      Another possible option is to 'kill' the running Vim process on computer
      A. For example, I work on things on my work computer from both home and
      work. If I leave a file open in Vim while at work, and go to edit it
      when I'm home, I get the recovery message.

      Often I won't have made any changes since the time I last saved, in
      which case it's perfectly fine to 'kill' the running Vim.

      E.g.:

      work$ vi ~/some.file
      [leave running]

      [later, at home]
      home$ ssh work
      work$ vi ~/some.file
      E325: ATTENTION
      Found a swap file [...]
      modified: no
      process ID: 10287 (still running)
      (choose 'A' for (A)bort)
      work$ kill 10287 # just 'kill' (which defaults to 'kill -TERM'), not 'kill -9'
      [running vim is safely shut down]
      work$ vi ~/some.file
      [edit as normal]

      --