Re: A short question about gVim

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 1, 2011
      On 01/02/11 11:27, Raúl Núñez de Arenas Coronado wrote:
      > Hi Tony :)
      >
      > I have to use gVim on Windows, at least for a while, and I wonder if
      > there is any updating schedule for it. I've downloaded the current
      > version and it is 7.3.46, while the last patch published is 107.
      >
      > Do you know when is it updated? After a certain amount of patches?
      > After a certain time?
      >
      > I can use Wu Yongwei build, which is 107, I suppose, but it doesn't
      > include updated runtime files, so I think keeping with the official 46
      > version is a safer bet.
      >
      > I'm lost in Windows, I must confess...

      The "unofficial reference" for Vim on Windows is the "Vim without Cream"
      distribution, downloadable from
      http://sourceforge.net/projects/cream/files/ (click "Vim") and
      maintained by Steve Hall; it includes both vim (console) and gvim
      binaries (on Windows an executable can be either a GUI or a console
      program but not both) as well as runtime files up-to-date at the time
      the distribution was built. I just checked it, and it is currently at
      patchlevel 7.3.107.

      Or you could, of course, compile your own version, keeping the sources
      up-to-date with Mercurial or TortoiseHg (which is a GUI interface to
      Mercurial for use on Windows), then following
      http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/compile.htm -- but
      considering Steve's excellent distribution, this is only necessary if
      you want a different (probably smaller) featureset than the one he chose
      to include.

      In Memphis, Tennessee, it is illegal for a woman to drive a car unless
      there is a man either running or walking in front of it waving a red
      flag to warn approaching motorists and pedestrians.

    • Raúl Núñez de Arenas Coronado
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 1, 2011
        Hi Tony :)

        2011/2/1 Tony Mechelynck <antoine.mechelynck@...>:
        > On 01/02/11 11:27, Raúl Núñez de Arenas Coronado wrote:
        >> I'm lost in Windows, I must confess...
        >
        > The "unofficial reference" for Vim on Windows is the "Vim without Cream"
        > distribution, downloadable from http://sourceforge.net/projects/cream/files/
        > (click "Vim") and maintained by Steve Hall;

        THANKS! Looks like it is *exactly* what I need :) I thought that Steve
        only maintained the Cream version, so I didn't even look at it.

        > Or you could, of course, compile your own version, keeping the sources
        > up-to-date with Mercurial or TortoiseHg (which is a GUI interface to
        > Mercurial for use on Windows), then following
        > http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/compile.htm -- but considering
        > Steve's excellent distribution, this is only necessary if you want a
        > different (probably smaller) featureset than the one he chose to include.

        I was tempted to build my own version, as I do on Ubuntu, but setting
        up a building environment in Windows is much more time-consuming than
        doing the same in Ubuntu (where "time" is almost-zero). It is just not
        worth the pain, and the precompiled version will work for me, I'm
        sure.

        Thanks a lot, Tony, you saved me a ton of time :)

        --
        Raúl Núñez de Arenas Coronado