Re: string type in vim script language

  • Ben Schmidt
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 1, 2011
      > However, I get the following
      >
      > Error detected while processing function SwitchSourceHeader:
      > line 5:
      > E492 Not an editor command: filename = expand(%:t:r)
      >
      > I am wondering if anyone can point out a correct way for doing this.

      In vimscript, 'let' isn't just used to declare variables the first time
      they are used, it is used any time you want to change a variable value.
      So you need

      let filename = expand(%:t:r)
      let filename = filename + ".cpp"

      Ben.

    • Israel Chauca F.
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 1, 2011
        On Feb 1, 2011, at 7:15 AM, Ben Schmidt wrote:

        >> However, I get the following
        >>
        >> Error detected while processing function SwitchSourceHeader:
        >> line 5:
        >> E492 Not an editor command: filename = expand(%:t:r)
        >>
        >> I am wondering if anyone can point out a correct way for doing this.
        >
        > In vimscript, 'let' isn't just used to declare variables the first time
        > they are used, it is used any time you want to change a variable value.
        > So you need
        >
        > let filename = expand(%:t:r)
        > let filename = filename + ".cpp"

        If you want to append the extension, the last one should be

        let filename = filename . '.cpp'

        Israel

      • shuda Li
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 1, 2011
          Thank you every one!

          Briefly conclude:

          let filename = expand("%:t:r").'.cpp'

          Shuda

          --
          Shuda Li
          --------------------------------
          PhD  Candidate
          Computer Vision Group
          Room 1.15
          Merchant Venturers Building
          Woodland Road
          the University of Bristol
          Bristol BS8 1UB
          United Kingdom
          ---------------------------------
          Email:  csxsl@...
                      csxsl@...
          web:    http://www.cs.bris.ac.uk/~csxsl/
          Office:    +44 (0)117 954 5629
          Fax:       +44 (0)117 954 5208
          ---------------------------------

        • Luc Hermitte
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 1, 2011
            Hello,

            "shuda Li" wrote:

            > Thank you every one!
            >
            > Briefly conclude:
            >
            > let filename = expand("%:t:r").'.cpp'

            Hmm.. Did you see the Alternate plugin (#31) ? And IIRC, there exist another plugin that does the same job.

            --
            Luc Hermitte
            http://lh-vim.googlecode.com/

          • Michael Henry
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 1, 2011
              On 02/01/2011 09:29 AM, Luc Hermitte wrote:
              > "shuda Li" wrote:
              >> let filename = expand("%:t:r").'.cpp'
              >
              > Hmm.. Did you see the Alternate plugin (#31) ? And IIRC, there
              > exist another plugin that does the same job.

              As an "alternative" :-) I use and enjoy Derek Wyatt's FSwitch
              plugin for this purpose:

              Michael Henry