Re: Can VIM load big files quicker?

  • Ben Schmidt
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 1, 2011
      On 1/02/11 10:52 PM, Wayne Young wrote:
      > Hi all,
      > I have a text file with more than 40,000,000 lines. It takes VIM very long time to
      > load. Is there anything I can do to make it quicker?

      Check out the LargeFile.vim plugin.

      Ben.

    • Tim Chase
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 1, 2011
        On 02/01/11 05:52, Wayne Young wrote:
        > I have a text file with more than 40,000,000 lines. It takes
        > VIM very long time to load. Is there anything I can do to make
        > it quicker?

        You may want to investigate the common large-file solutions:

        http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Faster_loading_of_large_files

        Depending on your edits, you might have better luck using sed
        which will process it as a stream instead of trying to hold the
        whole thing in memory. You might also want to read at

        :help limits

        for limitations you might bump into with files that large.

        Additionally, with a file that large, it might be useful (if
        you're on *nix or have common *nix-utilities on Win32) to use the
        split/csplit commands to chop up your file into manageable bits
        to edit subsets of them, and then piece them all back together
        with cat.

        Hope this helps,

        -tim