Re: Remapping CTRL-I to

  • Erik Christiansen
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 1, 2011
      On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 07:37:17AM +0100, Christophe-Marie Duquesne wrote:
      > On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 6:52 AM, Ben Schmidt
      > <mail_ben_schmidt@...> wrote:
      > > On 28/01/11 3:56 PM, Chris Jones wrote:
      > >>
      > >> Is it possible to remap CTRL-I to ‘Escape’ in insert mode without
      > >> remapping<Tab>  at the same time?
      >
      > I think using an external tool such as xmodmap, you could remap <c-i>
      > to <esc>, but this solution would affect the whole system.

      Originally to compensate for a uselessly small laptop ESC key, I long
      ago remapped "Caps Lock" to ESC:

      To change CAPS_LOCK to ESCAPE, put into ~/.Xmodmap:
      keycode 0x42 = Escape
      clear Lock # Disable Caps-Lock

      Now I use it on desktops as well, because I've never found a use for
      "Caps Lock" [1]. Since ESC is used so much in vim, it seems useful to have
      it on a single key. Consistent behaviour across all applications is an
      advantage, I find.

      YMMV (by a large margin ;-)

      Erik

      [1] If ever a long shouting heading were needed, there are several vim
      ways to convert after input.

    • Chris Jones
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 1, 2011
        On Tue, Feb 01, 2011 at 05:49:13AM EST, Erik Christiansen wrote:
        > On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 07:37:17AM +0100, Christophe-Marie Duquesne wrote:
        > > On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 6:52 AM, Ben Schmidt
        > > <mail_ben_schmidt@...> wrote:

        > > I think using an external tool such as xmodmap, you could remap <c-i>
        > > to <esc>, but this solution would affect the whole system.
        >
        > Originally to compensate for a uselessly small laptop ESC key, I long
        > ago remapped "Caps Lock" to ESC:

        I tried that.. but the problem is that I have switched the location of
        CapsLock and Left Control.. And on a ThinkPad keyboard, the left Control
        key sits between the Fn key and the Logo key.. it's also smaller than on
        most keyboards.. Makes hitting it accurately even more of a challenge
        than hitting the CTRL-[ combo.

        Other things that I tried include remapping Escape to a double keystroke
        such as in

        :inoremap ;; <Esc>

        but that didn't work out very well either.

        > To change CAPS_LOCK to ESCAPE, put into ~/.Xmodmap:
        > keycode 0x42 = Escape
        > clear Lock # Disable Caps-Lock

        > Now I use it on desktops as well, because I've never found a use for
        > "Caps Lock" [1].

        Apart from old-fashioned typing drills..

        > Since ESC is used so much in vim, it seems useful to have it on
        > a single key. Consistent behaviour across all applications is an
        > advantage, I find.

        Yes that's the main problem with remapping. Pretty useless if it clashes
        with any other environment you use freaquently.. And the reason I am
        dreaming of a desktop that gives you the option of some form of Vim
        mode. I actually patched Window Maker, so that I could use hjkl to move
        around menus.

        Thanks,

        cj