Re: How do the default key commands work

  • Tim Chase
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 30, 2011
      On 01/30/11 03:25, Marco wrote:
      > there are just the definded mappings listed, not the basic

      The natively functionality for these is defined in C functions
      and mapped in Vim's source-code.

      If you want a catalog of the functionality, you can look at
      things like

      :help normal-index
      :h visual-index
      :h insert-index
      :h ex-cmd-index
      :h ex-edit-index

      or more generically:

      :h index.txt

      They're available "natively" from within a "noremap" version of a
      mapping. So if you want to swap the functionality of "j" and "k"
      (wow, that would get annoying, but it's a good example), you can use

      :nnoremap j k
      :nnoremap k j

      If you didn't use the "nore" version, then the 2nd one would
      produce a recursive mapping:

      :nmap j k " now both j & k act like k
      :nmap k j " now k calls j calls k calls j calls k...boom

      Hope this makes sense. There's no underlying function (like I
      understand Emacs has) accessible to which keys can be rebound.

      -tim