Scrolling screen lines, I knew, it's impossible.

  • oCameLo
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 26, 2011
      There's so many questions and feature requests about use mouse to
      scroll screen lines, but until now, it's still impossible.

      Before starting this thread, I found two items in todo.txt.

      1st:

      7 Add a string to the 'display' option to make CTRL-E and CTRL-Y
      scroll one
      screen line, also if this means the first line doesn't start with
      the
      first character (like what happens with a single line that doesn't
      fit).

      "7" is priority classification, it means "as soon as possible", it's
      great. BUT, this item added to todo.txt by joze on Mon Jan 17 00:41:55
      2000 UTC. Yes, 11 years ago. (http://vim.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/
      vim/vim/runtime/doc/todo.txt?r1=1.2&r2=1.3)

      2nd:

      - Scroll commands by screen line. g CTRL-E and g CTRL-Y ? Requires
      the
      first line to be able to start halfway.

      This one added by Bram Moolenaar on Jan 06, 2010. "-" means
      "unclassified", and try :h extensions-improvements, you'll see this
      feature will be added "when all bugs have been fixed". (https://
      code.google.com/p/vim/source/diff?
      spec=svn3259c3923c1ef2ec1783c828828c7f4e728c3f4b&r=de5a43c5eedc537e4dcdcdbddeea496088063683&format=side&path=/
      runtime/doc/todo.txt&old_path=/runtime/doc/
      todo.txt&old=5232b9862f238a2a109f15527825e5cac1668a04)

      I'm not sure what does "all bugs" mean, sounds like, never?...

      Best regards.

      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 26, 2011
        On 26/01/11 17:38, oCameLo wrote:
        > There's so many questions and feature requests about use mouse to
        > scroll screen lines, but until now, it's still impossible.
        >
        > Before starting this thread, I found two items in todo.txt.
        >
        > 1st:
        >
        > 7 Add a string to the 'display' option to make CTRL-E and CTRL-Y
        > scroll one
        > screen line, also if this means the first line doesn't start with
        > the
        > first character (like what happens with a single line that doesn't
        > fit).
        >
        > "7" is priority classification, it means "as soon as possible", it's
        > great. BUT, this item added to todo.txt by joze on Mon Jan 17 00:41:55
        > 2000 UTC. Yes, 11 years ago. (http://vim.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/
        > vim/vim/runtime/doc/todo.txt?r1=1.2&r2=1.3)
        >
        > 2nd:
        >
        > - Scroll commands by screen line. g CTRL-E and g CTRL-Y ? Requires
        > the
        > first line to be able to start halfway.
        >
        > This one added by Bram Moolenaar on Jan 06, 2010. "-" means
        > "unclassified", and try :h extensions-improvements, you'll see this
        > feature will be added "when all bugs have been fixed". (https://
        > code.google.com/p/vim/source/diff?
        > spec=svn3259c3923c1ef2ec1783c828828c7f4e728c3f4b&r=de5a43c5eedc537e4dcdcdbddeea496088063683&format=side&path=/
        > runtime/doc/todo.txt&old_path=/runtime/doc/
        > todo.txt&old=5232b9862f238a2a109f15527825e5cac1668a04)
        >
        > I'm not sure what does "all bugs" mean, sounds like, never?...
        >
        > Best regards.

        ATM the first character in a Vim (split-)window must be the first one of
        a line, except if the current line is larger than the window. I regard
        this as a feature rather than a bug; of course, YMMV.

        "Death is nature's way of saying `Howdy'".

      • oCameLo
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 26, 2011
          Scroll by screen lines is a feature too, and I'm afraid VIM is the
          only one that cannot turn it on.

          Looks like, there's someone had persuaded joze 11 years ago, maybe we
          need to do it to vimboss again?

          Best.

          On Jan 27, 6:05 am, Tony Mechelynck <antoine.mechely...@...>
          wrote:
          > On 26/01/11 17:38, oCameLo wrote:
          >

          > > There's so many questions and feature requests about use mouse to
          > > scroll screen lines, but until now, it's still impossible.
          >
          > > Before starting this thread, I found two items in todo.txt.
          >
          > > 1st:
          >
          > > 7   Add a string to the 'display' option to make CTRL-E and CTRL-Y
          > > scroll one
          > >      screen line, also if this means the first line doesn't start with
          > > the
          > >      first character (like what happens with a single line that doesn't
          > > fit).
          >
          > > "7" is priority classification, it means "as soon as possible", it's
          > > great. BUT, this item added to todo.txt by joze on Mon Jan 17 00:41:55
          > > 2000 UTC. Yes, 11 years ago. (http://vim.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/
          > > vim/vim/runtime/doc/todo.txt?r1=1.2&r2=1.3)
          >
          > > 2nd:
          >
          > > -   Scroll commands by screen line. g CTRL-E and g CTRL-Y ?  Requires
          > > the
          > >      first line to be able to start halfway.
          >
          > > This one added by Bram Moolenaar on Jan 06, 2010. "-" means
          > > "unclassified", and try :h extensions-improvements, you'll see this
          > > feature will be added "when all bugs have been fixed". (https://
          > > code.google.com/p/vim/source/diff?
          > > spec=svn3259c3923c1ef2ec1783c828828c7f4e728c3f4b&r=de5a43c5eedc537e4dcdcdbd­deea496088063683&format=side&path=/
          > > runtime/doc/todo.txt&old_path=/runtime/doc/
          > > todo.txt&old=5232b9862f238a2a109f15527825e5cac1668a04)
          >
          > > I'm not sure what does "all bugs" mean, sounds like, never?...
          >
          > > Best regards.
          >
          > ATM the first character in a Vim (split-)window must be the first one of
          > a line, except if the current line is larger than the window. I regard
          > this as a feature rather than a bug; of course, YMMV.
          >
          > Best regards,
          > Tony.
          > --
          > "Death is nature's way of saying `Howdy'".

        • Ben Schmidt
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 26, 2011
            On 27/01/11 3:38 AM, oCameLo wrote:
            > There's so many questions and feature requests about use mouse to
            > scroll screen lines, but until now, it's still impossible.

            Bram, you're not opposed to this kind of feature, are you? So if I did
            some work on it, it could be included in Vim at some stage, right?

            Ben.

          • Bram Moolenaar
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 26, 2011
              Some camel wrote:

              > There's so many questions and feature requests about use mouse to
              > scroll screen lines, but until now, it's still impossible.
              >
              > Before starting this thread, I found two items in todo.txt.
              >
              > 1st:
              >
              > 7 Add a string to the 'display' option to make CTRL-E and CTRL-Y
              > scroll one
              > screen line, also if this means the first line doesn't start with
              > the
              > first character (like what happens with a single line that doesn't
              > fit).
              >
              > "7" is priority classification, it means "as soon as possible", it's
              > great. BUT, this item added to todo.txt by joze on Mon Jan 17 00:41:55
              > 2000 UTC. Yes, 11 years ago. (http://vim.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/
              > vim/vim/runtime/doc/todo.txt?r1=1.2&r2=1.3)
              >
              > 2nd:
              >
              > - Scroll commands by screen line. g CTRL-E and g CTRL-Y ? Requires
              > the
              > first line to be able to start halfway.
              >
              > This one added by Bram Moolenaar on Jan 06, 2010. "-" means
              > "unclassified", and try :h extensions-improvements, you'll see this
              > feature will be added "when all bugs have been fixed". (https://
              > code.google.com/p/vim/source/diff?
              > spec=svn3259c3923c1ef2ec1783c828828c7f4e728c3f4b&r=de5a43c5eedc537e4dcdcdbddeea496088063683&format=side&path=/
              > runtime/doc/todo.txt&old_path=/runtime/doc/
              > todo.txt&old=5232b9862f238a2a109f15527825e5cac1668a04)
              >
              > I'm not sure what does "all bugs" mean, sounds like, never?...

              Vim development is slow, it's quite stable and still there are plenty of
              bugs to fix. Adding a new feature always means new bugs, thus hardly
              any new features are going to be added now. I did add a few for Vim
              7.3, and that did introduce quite a few new problems. Even though
              several people said the patch worked fine.

              157. You fum through a magazine, you first check to see if it has a web
              address.

            • oCameLo
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 27, 2011
                Opps, vimboss appeared...

                Everytime when I coding in VIM, as it's in heaven. But for reading and
                writing, I have to use another editor. In some ways, just like wander
                from place to place, it's a kind of pain.

                However, I quite understand what you mean. Actually, I never thought
                you would see this thread...

                Sorry for my complaining, and thanks for your greate job.

                Best.

                Bram Moolenaar wrote:

                > Vim development is slow, it's quite stable and still there are plenty of
                > bugs to fix. Adding a new feature always means new bugs, thus hardly
                > any new features are going to be added now. I did add a few for Vim
                > 7.3, and that did introduce quite a few new problems. Even though
                > several people said the patch worked fine.

                > 157. You fum through a magazine, you first check to see if it has a web
                > address.

              • oCameLo
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 27, 2011
                  If you done this, you will be a hero, too...

                  Best.

                  Ben Schmidt wrote:
                  > On 27/01/11 3:38 AM, oCameLo wrote:
                  > > There's so many questions and feature requests about use mouse to
                  > > scroll screen lines, but until now, it's still impossible.
                  >
                  > Bram, you're not opposed to this kind of feature, are you? So if I did
                  > some work on it, it could be included in Vim at some stage, right?
                  >
                  > Ben.

                • Bram Moolenaar
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 28, 2011
                    Ben Schmidt wrote:

                    > On 27/01/11 3:38 AM, oCameLo wrote:
                    > > There's so many questions and feature requests about use mouse to
                    > > scroll screen lines, but until now, it's still impossible.
                    >
                    > Bram, you're not opposed to this kind of feature, are you? So if I did
                    > some work on it, it could be included in Vim at some stage, right?

                    This is a change that has a high probablity of introducing new bugs.

                    There are also a few questions about how to allow the user to access
                    this, with an option setting or with different scroll commands?
                    Probably a setting, so that it can work with scrollbars.

                    --
                    If you feel lonely, try schizophrenia.

                  • Ben Schmidt
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 28, 2011
                      On 29/01/11 1:44 PM, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                      > Ben Schmidt wrote:
                      >
                      >> On 27/01/11 3:38 AM, oCameLo wrote:
                      >>> There's so many questions and feature requests about use mouse to
                      >>> scroll screen lines, but until now, it's still impossible.
                      >>
                      >> Bram, you're not opposed to this kind of feature, are you? So if I did
                      >> some work on it, it could be included in Vim at some stage, right?
                      >
                      > This is a change that has a high probablity of introducing new bugs.

                      True, though if coded carefully, these bugs should only appear when the
                      feature is turned on.

                      > There are also a few questions about how to allow the user to access
                      > this, with an option setting or with different scroll commands?
                      > Probably a setting, so that it can work with scrollbars.

                      I think it would probably be best to do this in stages:

                      1. Add new commands to scroll one screen line at a time. Test it out,
                      including by mapping the scrollwheel to those new commands in the X
                      GUIs. This shouldn't be too hard, as Vim can already display lines
                      starting part way through; it just usually doesn't. The experience
                      wouldn't be very smooth yet either, but screen-line scrolling would at
                      least be possible, and it would pave the way for something better.

                      2. Add an option to make scrolling work with screen lines. The meaning
                      of this option would be to affect all scrolling. To start with, though,
                      just make it change the meaning of the scroll wheel in X GUIs (already
                      implemented), and where easy, the clicks of the scroll bar arrows. It
                      might not affect Windows yet; it depends how the scrolling works there,
                      and I haven't looked in any detail.

                      3. Make other parts of Vim, such as moving line-to-line, vertical jumps,
                      and scrolling for scrolloff honour the new option, too, choosing window
                      positions that begin with partial lines. This would make the editing
                      experience pretty smooth.

                      4. Update the code for scrollbars more thoroughly, so that dragging the
                      bar can work with screen lines, too. Windows should definitely benefit
                      by this stage and the feature would basically be finished.

                      5. Pick the nits of little bugs that we can't foresee.

                      What do you think? Would this be an OK way to proceed?

                      Ben.

                    • Bram Moolenaar
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jan 30, 2011
                        Ben Schmidt wrote:

                        > >> Bram, you're not opposed to this kind of feature, are you? So if I did
                        > >> some work on it, it could be included in Vim at some stage, right?
                        > >
                        > > This is a change that has a high probablity of introducing new bugs.
                        >
                        > True, though if coded carefully, these bugs should only appear when the
                        > feature is turned on.
                        >
                        > > There are also a few questions about how to allow the user to access
                        > > this, with an option setting or with different scroll commands?
                        > > Probably a setting, so that it can work with scrollbars.
                        >
                        > I think it would probably be best to do this in stages:
                        >
                        > 1. Add new commands to scroll one screen line at a time. Test it out,
                        > including by mapping the scrollwheel to those new commands in the X
                        > GUIs. This shouldn't be too hard, as Vim can already display lines
                        > starting part way through; it just usually doesn't. The experience
                        > wouldn't be very smooth yet either, but screen-line scrolling would at
                        > least be possible, and it would pave the way for something better.
                        >
                        > 2. Add an option to make scrolling work with screen lines. The meaning
                        > of this option would be to affect all scrolling. To start with, though,
                        > just make it change the meaning of the scroll wheel in X GUIs (already
                        > implemented), and where easy, the clicks of the scroll bar arrows. It
                        > might not affect Windows yet; it depends how the scrolling works there,
                        > and I haven't looked in any detail.
                        >
                        > 3. Make other parts of Vim, such as moving line-to-line, vertical jumps,
                        > and scrolling for scrolloff honour the new option, too, choosing window
                        > positions that begin with partial lines. This would make the editing
                        > experience pretty smooth.
                        >
                        > 4. Update the code for scrollbars more thoroughly, so that dragging the
                        > bar can work with screen lines, too. Windows should definitely benefit
                        > by this stage and the feature would basically be finished.
                        >
                        > 5. Pick the nits of little bugs that we can't foresee.
                        >
                        > What do you think? Would this be an OK way to proceed?

                        Sounds good.

                        --
                        "The question of whether computers can think is just like the question
                        of whether submarines can swim." -- Edsger W. Dijkstra