Re: vim --remote over ssh -X (P.S.)

    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 2, 2011
      On 03/01/11 08:45, Tony Mechelynck wrote:
      > On 02/01/11 19:05, Bastian Venthur wrote:
      >> Hi,
      >>
      >> when I log into a remote machine with ssh -X and start a local gvim
      >> session, i can see the local gvim with:
      >>
      >> user@remote$ gvim --serverlist
      >> GVIM
      >>
      >> To control that it is really my local gvim session, I repeat it after
      >> closing the local gvim and the serverlist is empty.
      >>
      >> when I want to open a remote file with the --remote option
      >>
      >> user@remote$ gvim --remote test.py
      >>
      >> an empty file gets loaded in my local gvim. Is this a bug? If not, is
      >> there a similar way to edit remote files locally? I know that it's
      >> possible to use :e scp:user@remote/path/to/file but I find it more
      >> convenient to call vim direclty within the remote filesystem.
      >>

      >> Cheers,
      >>
      >> Bastian
      >>

      > T'ain't a bug, it's a feature:
      [...]

      Oh, and I'm not sure of the difference between ssh -X (untrusted X11
      forwarding) and ssh -Y (trusted X11 forwarding).

      Winter is the season in which people try to keep the house as warm as
      it was in the summer, when they complained about the heat.

    • Bastian Venthur
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 3, 2011
        Hi

        Am 03.01.2011 08:45, schrieb Tony Mechelynck:
        > On 02/01/11 19:05, Bastian Venthur wrote:
        >> Hi,
        >>
        >> when I log into a remote machine with ssh -X and start a local gvim
        >> session, i can see the local gvim with:
        >>
        >> user@remote$ gvim --serverlist
        >> GVIM
        >>
        >> To control that it is really my local gvim session, I repeat it after
        >> closing the local gvim and the serverlist is empty.
        >>
        >> when I want to open a remote file with the --remote option
        >>
        >> user@remote$ gvim --remote test.py
        >>
        >> an empty file gets loaded in my local gvim. Is this a bug? If not, is
        >> there a similar way to edit remote files locally? I know that it's
        >> possible to use :e scp:user@remote/path/to/file but I find it more
        >> convenient to call vim direclty within the remote filesystem.

        > T'ain't a bug, it's a feature:

        I don't see how this is a feature. I can see the local gvim on my remote
        machine and want to load a remote file in my local gvim. When I use gvim
        --remote SOMEFILE on the remote machine, an *empty* file gets loaded on
        my local gvim. So it seems that there is some connection between the
        remote machine an my local gvim, but I actually expected that SOMEFILE
        gets loaded in my local vim. Is this possible with the --remote option?

        > To edit remote files in the local Vim, see :help pi_netrw.txt -- as
        > apparently you know.

        I really want to avoid that, since I don't want to browse the rather
        complicated tree on the remote system within vim, but rather with ssh.

        Cheers,

        Bastian

        --
        Bastian Venthur http://venthur.de
        Debian Developer venthur at debian org

        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 3, 2011
          On 03/01/11 10:42, Bastian Venthur wrote:
          > Hi
          >
          > Am 03.01.2011 08:45, schrieb Tony Mechelynck:
          >> On 02/01/11 19:05, Bastian Venthur wrote:
          >>> Hi,
          >>>
          >>> when I log into a remote machine with ssh -X and start a local gvim
          >>> session, i can see the local gvim with:
          >>>
          >>> user@remote$ gvim --serverlist
          >>> GVIM
          >>>
          >>> To control that it is really my local gvim session, I repeat it after
          >>> closing the local gvim and the serverlist is empty.
          >>>
          >>> when I want to open a remote file with the --remote option
          >>>
          >>> user@remote$ gvim --remote test.py
          >>>
          >>> an empty file gets loaded in my local gvim. Is this a bug? If not, is
          >>> there a similar way to edit remote files locally? I know that it's
          >>> possible to use :e scp:user@remote/path/to/file but I find it more
          >>> convenient to call vim direclty within the remote filesystem.
          >
          >> T'ain't a bug, it's a feature:
          >
          > I don't see how this is a feature. I can see the local gvim on my remote
          > machine and want to load a remote file in my local gvim. When I use gvim
          > --remote SOMEFILE on the remote machine, an *empty* file gets loaded on
          > my local gvim. So it seems that there is some connection between the
          > remote machine an my local gvim, but I actually expected that SOMEFILE
          > gets loaded in my local vim. Is this possible with the --remote option?
          >
          >> To edit remote files in the local Vim, see :help pi_netrw.txt -- as
          >> apparently you know.
          >
          > I really want to avoid that, since I don't want to browse the rather
          > complicated tree on the remote system within vim, but rather with ssh.
          >

          > Cheers,
          >
          > Bastian

          Maybe I'm obtuse; but what's the problem with browsing the "rather
          complicated tree" in a netrw directory window?

          gvim scp://user@remote/path/

          with the trailing / so netrw knows it's a directory; and from there, hit
          <Enter> on any filename to open it, or on any subdirectory name to
          browse it (or hit o instead to open it in a new split-window)

          7. You finally do take that vacation, but only after buying a cellular modem
          and a laptop.

        • Bastian Venthur
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 3, 2011
            Am 03.01.2011 12:01, schrieb Tony Mechelynck:
            > On 03/01/11 10:42, Bastian Venthur wrote:

            [...]

            >>> T'ain't a bug, it's a feature:
            >>
            >> I don't see how this is a feature. I can see the local gvim on my remote
            >> machine and want to load a remote file in my local gvim. When I use gvim
            >> --remote SOMEFILE on the remote machine, an *empty* file gets loaded on
            >> my local gvim. So it seems that there is some connection between the
            >> remote machine an my local gvim, but I actually expected that SOMEFILE
            >> gets loaded in my local vim. Is this possible with the --remote option?
            >>
            >>> To edit remote files in the local Vim, see :help pi_netrw.txt -- as
            >>> apparently you know.
            >>
            >> I really want to avoid that, since I don't want to browse the rather
            >> complicated tree on the remote system within vim, but rather with ssh.

            [...]

            > Maybe I'm obtuse; but what's the problem with browsing the "rather
            > complicated tree" in a netrw directory window?
            >
            > gvim scp://user@remote/path/

            Yeah, I know. I just happen to find it more convenient to browse the FS
            with my shell and open files with gvim --remote as needed. The question
            is still if the above behavior is a bug or not. Clearly gvim --remote
            SOMEFILE does *something* with my local gvim but it does not load
            SOMEFILE but an emtpy one. I think it is a bug but I'm not sure.

            Cheers,

            Bastian

            --
            Bastian Venthur http://venthur.de
            Debian Developer venthur at debian org

          • Ben Schmidt
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 3, 2011
              > I don't see how this is a feature. I can see the local gvim on my remote
              > machine and want to load a remote file in my local gvim. When I use gvim
              > --remote SOMEFILE on the remote machine, an *empty* file gets loaded on
              > my local gvim. So it seems that there is some connection between the
              > remote machine an my local gvim, but I actually expected that SOMEFILE
              > gets loaded in my local vim. Is this possible with the --remote option?

              It's not really a bug. The Vim remote feature wasn't actually designed
              to work between machines, just between instances on the same machine.

              Here's what's happening.

              Vim on your remote machine can see Vim on your local machine because of
              the forwarded X connection. But it has no way of knowing the Vim on your
              local machine is on a different machine, with a different filesystem,
              etc.. --remote doesn't forward any file contents, it just sends a
              command to the Vim it's communicating with, telling it to edit a file at
              a certain path. Since the local and remote Vim don't share the same
              filesystem, the path doesn't mean the same thing to both Vims.

              The best thing I can suggest is to make yourself a little shell script
              or macro that takes an argument and calls vim --remote with the path
              modified in such a way that your local Vim can find it via scp. So when
              you do

              vimremote file.txt

              it does

              vim --remote scp://host/path/to/file.txt

              Ben.

            • Asis Hallab
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 3, 2011
                Dear Tony,

                I think you should use netrw in order to open your remote file.
                Details with
                :h netrw
                and especially
                :h netrw-read

                I might be mistaken though..

                Best!
                Asis

                2011/1/3 Tony Mechelynck <antoine.mechelynck@...>
[...]

                Asis Hallab
                Rothehausstr. 6 - 12
                50823 Köln

                Skype: asis.hallab.cgn
                Fest (Köln) 42346046
                Mobil  (O2) 0176 63370211
                Fax 01212 - 5 - 30697106

              • Simon Ruderich
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 3, 2011
                  On Mon, Jan 03, 2011 at 01:02:20PM +0100, Bastian Venthur wrote:
                  > [snip]
                  >
                  > Yeah, I know. I just happen to find it more convenient to browse the FS
                  > with my shell and open files with gvim --remote as needed. The question
                  >
                  > [snip]

                  Hi Bastian,

                  I can recommend sshfs. It uses FUSE and lets you mount the remote
                  directory locally thus you can use your shell as usual and Vim on
                  the local system.

                  If you need to run commands directly on the remote system that
                  won't work of course (because all commands are run on your local
                  system, just on the remote filesystem) but for that case you can
                  use a ssh session and switch between it (for example with GNU
                  screen or tmux).

                  Regards,
                  Simon
                  --