Re: macro for an affine cipher

  • Ben Fritz
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 2, 2011
      On Jan 1, 12:36 am, "eda wizard" <edawiz...@...>
      wrote:
      > HAPPY NEW YEAR everybody!
      >
      > I've made some progress for my quest to secure my files. Having seen that vim can interact with perl using :perl and :.perldo , I've dropped the affine cipher in favor of just using perl's existing crypto modules available atwww.cpan.org .
      >
      > So I've built a perl script that takes four arguments:
      > 1)  a 'steering' value "en" or "de"
      > 2)  the key
      > 3)  name of input file
      > 4)  name of output file
      >
      > and works great when executed from within the Command Window i.e.
      >
      >    perl mycoolscript.pl en DontWorryBeHappy plaintext.txt secure.txt
      >
      > Now I'd like to modify it to be runnable from within a vim session and execute against the whole file (buffer?) at once.
      >
      > For example, you have a textfile containing all your passwords.
      > You want this file to remain encrypted on the hard drive.
      > You wish to open the file in vim, execute something like:
      >    :.perldo mycoolscript.pl de DontWorryBeHappy
      > and =PRESTO= the file is decrypted
      > You make a few changes then
      >    :.perldo mycoolscript.pl en DontWorryBeHappy
      > and =PRESTO= the file is encrypted again. You
      >    :wq
      > and are done.
      >
      > (you'd have to perform an initial encryption, of course)
      >
      > The benefit here is the file exists in decrypted form only in memory.
      >
      > So there you have it. How can I achieve this?

      Is there something wrong with Vim's built-in Blowfish encryption?

    • eda wizard
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 2, 2011
        >> So there you have it. How can I achieve this?
        >
        > Is there something wrong with Vim's built-in Blowfish encryption?

        I was unaware of its existance. There's a nice writeup about it from just two weeks ago here:
        http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/security/?p=4870

        Seems worth the effort to upgrade to vim7.3

        Thanks!

        CASE CLOSED

        Still-learning Stuart