Re: Vim homepage - improvements I'd like to implement. Comment please

  • Ben Fritz
    Message 1 of 20 , Jan 1, 2011
      On Dec 31 2010, 1:44 am, Marc Weber <marco-owe...@...> wrote:
      > Bram was so kind adding me to the list of contributors to the Vim project which
      > means that I can propose Vim web page changes by sending Bram patches.
      > If you have any urgent feature requests its the time to start talking about them.
      >
      > I'd like to implement:
      >
      >   A:a way to change the script type afterwards (because Bram had to do this manually using SQL)

      Great idea, and probably very easy to implement and low risk. Go for
      it.

      >   B:a "repository" field. This way you can register a
      >     git/mercurial/whatsoever repository along with your plugin.

      Also a great idea. It would allow users to get the cutting edge
      version if needed. Maybe don't limit it to a version control field. I
      know people like Dr. Chip like to host script versions on their
      websites before publishing to vim.org. Also as someone mentions, a
      "bug tracker" field could be useful as well.

      >   C:an opt-in collaboration feature: You can add other users as collaborators to
      >     your scripts which means that they can change the description and upload new
      >     versions as well (This is similar to what can be done on github)
      >
      >     I'm not sure whether a collaborator should be able to add/drop other
      >     collaborators.

      I like this, but I don't think all collaborators should be able to add/
      drop other collaborators. Maybe you could give two levels of access,
      not just one, but that would be harder. Another possibility would be
      all collaborators need to agree with the addition/removal of another
      collaborator (except for the person being removed, obviously).

      >     There was a request on the mailinglist for transfering
      >     maintainership to someone else. If this should be possible a
      >     collaborator should be able to add drop collaborators?
      >
      >     I think yes because you have to trust collaborators anyway.
      >
      >   D:change the voting system this way:
      >
      >     1) votings should be tight to a specific versions. If a plugin fixed bugs
      >        there is no reason why bad ratings of version 0.0 should still affect the
      >       latest version ( which might be 10.0 )
      >
      >       Because you can delete specific version archives later there may be votings
      >       for versions which can longe be downloaded
      >
      >       I'm not sure which voting to show by default. Maybe the current figures
      >       should be kept but an optional "detailed" few should be added?

      I like the idea of starting voting over on a new version, though
      obviously it would be open to abuse. Maybe showing the voting of the
      version next to the entry in the history would limit the abuse. Show
      the most recent vote tally, or a weighted average of all the versions
      (newer versions weighted higher).

      >     2) force users to give a reason if they vote something down. This will be
      >        kind of dialog and it'll help devs to understand user requirements

      I don't like this. Maybe highly encourage it but don't force it or it
      will discourage legitimate negative votes. The voting is really meant
      for people considering trying out the script, not for the script
      author.

    • Bram Moolenaar
      Message 2 of 20 , Jan 4, 2011
        Marc Weber wrote:

        > Bram was so kind adding me to the list of contributors to the Vim
        > project which means that I can propose Vim web page changes by sending
        > Bram patches. If you have any urgent feature requests its the time to
        > start talking about them.
        >
        > I'd like to implement:
        >
        > A:a way to change the script type afterwards (because Bram had to do this manually using SQL)
        >

        > B:a "repository" field. This way you can register a
        > git/mercurial/whatsoever repository along with your plugin.

        More general: a link to where the plugin is maintained. Could be a
        sourceforge or Google code project. There you can have a bugtracker and
        everything.

        > C:an opt-in collaboration feature: You can add other users as collaborators to
        > your scripts which means that they can change the description and upload new
        > versions as well (This is similar to what can be done on github)
        >
        > I'm not sure whether a collaborator should be able to add/drop other
        > collaborators.
        >
        > There was a request on the mailinglist for transfering
        > maintainership to someone else. If this should be possible a
        > collaborator should be able to add drop collaborators?
        >
        > I think yes because you have to trust collaborators anyway.
        >

        > D:change the voting system this way:
        >
        > 1) votings should be tight to a specific versions. If a plugin fixed bugs
        > there is no reason why bad ratings of version 0.0 should still affect the
        > latest version ( which might be 10.0 )
        >
        > Because you can delete specific version archives later there may be votings
        > for versions which can longe be downloaded
        >
        > I'm not sure which voting to show by default. Maybe the current figures
        > should be kept but an optional "detailed" few should be added?
        >
        > 2) force users to give a reason if they vote something down. This will be
        > kind of dialog and it'll help devs to understand user requirements

        We can't allow users to add arbitrary text and especially links. This
        will soon result in spamming, as what happened with Tips and forced us
        to take it down.

        It might be OK if we filter out anything that looks like a URL.

        > 3) create a new page returning a list of all scripts and achives as JSON format
        > which can be used by tools like vim-addon-manager or similar.
        >
        > FUTURE (?)
        > PHP docs contain a feature: You can add comments below each documentation page.
        > Someone (Bram) already added link to a per script id wiki page. However I feel
        > that showing user comments in the same page could be a nice idea (?)
        > Do you have a strong opinion on this?
        > We should add a note that comments "are not maintained" by script authors.
        > We don't want to put an additional burden on them.

        Like above, spamming may become a problem. That's why there is a link
        to the tips page.

        > Maybe there should a way for users to subscribe to comment changes (?)
        >
        > This is not a top priority for me so only comment about this if you
        > feel strong about it and if you think I should change something here.
        >
        > Provide feedback about these ideas, please

        79. All of your most erotic dreams have a scrollbar at the right side.

      • Bram Moolenaar
        Message 3 of 20 , Jan 4, 2011
          Jeet Sukumaran wrote:

          > I think the ability to delete a script (or, at least, its listing/
          > publishing) would be quite desirable. Unless there is a technical or
          > theoretical (design) reason for it not being there now?

          Instead of actually deleting it, we can mark scripts as "deprecated".
          Like with version control, it's often good to never throw anything away.

        • Bram Moolenaar
          Message 4 of 20 , Jan 4, 2011
            Marc Weber wrote:

            > Excerpts from Marc Weber's message of Fri Dec 31 08:44:02 +0100 2010:
            >
            > E) new password request the way its known by other sites:
            > - receive mail
            > - click link
            > - reset password

            I don't think it's possible to send mail. Unless sourceforge has
            re-enabled this. It stopped working a couple of years ago.

            > F) add a way to change a password
            >
            > G) hide script (we don't have to delete it)?
            > only maintainers / authors should be able to hide a script
            >
            > E) bug tracking system or url field?
            > It should be KISS simple: You have to have an account.
            > states: open, closed
            >
            > actions:
            > - create
            > - close
            > - add comment

            Please don't start yet another bug tracking system. There are plenty
            around.

            > Usually a site such as www.vim.org should not be abused to reinvent the
            > wheel. However most Vim scripts are very small and not all are hosted on
            > github or the like (?)
            >
            > About the "reasons" of downvoting: Of course they should be visible to
            > everyone. Maybe maintainers should be able to add comments so that you
            > can correct false claims.
            >
            > About the PHP.net style comments: Yes, they can be messy. However
            > sometimes they also contain valuable contents (maybe 1 out of 10
            > messages are useful and that could be worth it. In fact we could add a
            > voting system and hide comments which have a very bad voting
            > automatically)
            >
            > About changing ownership: Bram wants to be very conservative.
            > So maybe this should be manually.
            > I can't even think about a system would make sense to track
            > "orphandness" or the like.
            > A possibilty could be users adding claims such as
            >
            > date |
            > xxx | tried contacting by mail foo@host but no reply
            >
            > However you can see that this is not easy to get right. So for now I'd
            > like to skip this idea and do it the usual way: Post to the mailinglist
            > - hope for replies. Its archived so you can look it up later as well.
            >
            > Maybe this should be documented (?)

            81. At social functions you introduce your husband as "my domain server."

          • Marc Weber
            Message 5 of 20 , Jan 5, 2011
              Excerpts from Bram Moolenaar's message of Tue Jan 04 14:01:27 +0100 2011:
              > I don't think it's possible to send mail. Unless sourceforge has
              > re-enabled this. It stopped working a couple of years ago.

              We could make an HTTP request to an external sever which can send mail.
              So if we want it we can make it work easily.

              > Please don't start yet another bug tracking system. There are plenty
              > around.
              Agreed. Maybe we can setup a mantis tracker and create subprojects for
              each script or such ?

              We could then add a new field "bug tracker" to each script. If its empty
              we could default to mantis.

              Marc Weber