Vimsplain - explain vim command sequences

  • Stefan Parviainen
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 1, 2011
      Hi all,

      I hacked together a little program that attempts to explain sequences
      of vim commands. It's not nearly fully featured (lots of stuff I
      haven't bothered to implement yet, such as ranges). It parses the vim
      index.txt file (well, a slightly modified one) to obtain a list of
      commands.

      It uses a lot of regular expressions, so it will probably fall apart
      if you even look at it funny. Also, I haven't really tested it a lot.
      But it still might prove useful for beginners who don't need to deal
      with very complex commands.

      In case anyone is interested, have a go and report bugs. I just might
      end up implementing more functionality. Git repository at:
      https://github.com/pafcu/Vimsplain

      I ran into problems with the ambiguous use of "^". Usually CTRL is
      replaced by ^ but I can't use that because there are many
      interpretations of e.g. ^V:
      ^ cursor to the first CHAR of the line
      V start linewise Visual mode
      or:
      ^V start blockwise Visual mode

      I solved this by using § instead of ^ in control characters (e.g Esc
      is §[ instead of ^[). Does anyone have a better idea to solve the
      problem?

      --
      Stefan Parviainen

    • Robert S Ciaccio
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 5, 2011
        On Sat, Jan 1, 2011 at 6:03 AM, Stefan Parviainen <pafcu@...> wrote:

        > Hi all,
        >
        > I hacked together a little program that attempts to explain sequences
        > of vim commands. It's not nearly fully featured (lots of stuff I
        > haven't bothered to implement yet, such as ranges). It parses the vim
        > index.txt file (well, a slightly modified one) to obtain a list of
        > commands.
        >
        > It uses a lot of regular expressions, so it will probably fall apart
        > if you even look at it funny. Also, I haven't really tested it a lot.
        > But it still might prove useful for beginners who don't need to deal
        > with very complex commands.
        >
        > In case anyone is interested, have a go and report bugs. I just might
        > end up implementing more functionality. Git repository at:
        > https://github.com/pafcu/Vimsplain
        >
        > I ran into problems with the ambiguous use of "^". Usually CTRL is
        > replaced by ^ but I can't use that because there are many
        > interpretations of e.g. ^V:
        > ^       cursor to the first CHAR of the line
        > V       start linewise Visual mode
        > or:
        > ^V      start blockwise Visual mode
        >
        > I solved this by using § instead of ^ in control characters (e.g Esc
        > is §[ instead of ^[). Does anyone have a better idea to solve the
        > problem?
        >
        > --
        > Stefan Parviainen

        Very cool Stefan, this could be very useful for beginners!

      • Alan Young
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 6, 2011
          On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 00:45, Robert S Ciaccio <robc.nospam@...> wrote:
          > Very cool Stefan, this could be very useful for beginners!

          As the program evolves and advances, it would be useful for all levels
          of vim users ...
          trying to debug a macro for instance.
          --
          Alan Young