Wanted: vimrc file that sources modules

  • Larry Alkoff
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 28, 2010
      About a year ago I read a very interesting article about the
      organization of .vimrc.

      It explained the use of various modules to organize and set options like
      colors and other settings. When vim started, the modules would be sourced.

      This left a very nice organizational structure that was easy to view and
      edit.

      This article was either in Linux Magazine, Linux Journal or the British
      Linux Pro Magazine, or possibly just something I ran across on the web
      and can no longer find.

      Any pointers to this article would be greatly appreciated.

      Larry Alkoff

    • tux.
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 28, 2010
        Larry Alkoff schrob am 29.12.2010 03:40:

        > It explained the use of various modules to organize and set options like
        > colors and other settings. When vim started, the modules would be sourced.

        Some discussion about that:
        http://www.mail-archive.com/vim_use@.../msg04360.html

        As a general rule, anything you :source in your .vimrc file will be
        sourced on Vim startup. I use that to separate my Vim settings from my
        Vim plug-in settings:

        https://github.com/dertuxmalwieder/My-Vim-configuration/blob/master/.vimrc

        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 1, 2011
          On 29/12/10 04:22, tux. wrote:
          > Larry Alkoff schrob am 29.12.2010 03:40:
          >
          >> It explained the use of various modules to organize and set options like
          >> colors and other settings. When vim started, the modules would be sourced.
          >
          > Some discussion about that:
          > http://www.mail-archive.com/vim_use@.../msg04360.html
          >
          > As a general rule, anything you :source in your .vimrc file will be
          > sourced on Vim startup. I use that to separate my Vim settings from my
          > Vim plug-in settings:
          >
          > https://github.com/dertuxmalwieder/My-Vim-configuration/blob/master/.vimrc

          Also,

          - anything in the plugin/ subdirectory to any directory named in the
          'runtimepath' option will be sourced at the end of startup
          - There are other commands which can source user-written files: see
          among others
          :help :runtime
          :help :colorscheme
          :help 'runtimepath'

          For instance, my vimrc contains

          runtime vimrc_example.vim

          not far from its top, and

          colorscheme almost-default

          somewhat further down. ~/.vim/colors/almost-default.vim is a colorscheme
          I wrote myself; $VIMRUNTIME/vimrc_example.vim is the "example vimrc",
          which I source rather than copy (so I always use the latest version,
          even after an update), then I override any settings that are not what I
          prefer.

          Then I enable the matchit plugin by means of a home-written plugin,
          $VIM/vimfiles/plugin/matchit.vim containing only the line

          runtime macros/matchit.vim

          Quick, sing me the BUDAPEST NATIONAL ANTHEM!!